Author Topic: The Gossip and Scaremongering That Hurts Turkey  (Read 7464 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The Gossip and Scaremongering That Hurts Turkey
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 21:40:57 PM »
True, but the 50+ don't actively go looking for people to latch onto.

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 21:43:08 PM »
Is it me or is it in our national psyche. Why do we Brits put down people when they they show courage and vision. Why do we rubbish things without proper justification and why do we characteristically think and verbalise the negative first before we even consider the positive. Why do too many of us resent success and see pitfalls instead of opportunities.
It is privelage to be in Turkey and it is a privelage to own an apartment in Turkey. This is not patronising  - it merely reflects my reality because as a child my holiday experience was a day trip to the Isle of Wight and my family home was rented from a scrupulous landlord and with no frills!  
Now I have  the chance to visit a really interesting country and do (small) business with people who take a genuine interest in me as a person and value my custom. Everytime I leave Turkey I do so  wanting to return to do more and wanting to visit places not yet seen. I feel safe there.
As ancient proverb advises "Don't look back in anger, nor forward with fear but look around with awareness". If you heart is telling you that want to buy an apartment do it so long as you have sufficient funds. I think Turkey is a wonderful destination.  Well that is what I think.
TB
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 21:51:11 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 21:43:45 PM »
Sorry, I do get your point but I am surprised that YOU admit to being potentially swayed by one person whingeing.  You don't strike me as the sort..

But I see where you are coming from about these other people who were put off.  Just wonder what makes them so weak...

Offline busybee

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 21:43:46 PM »
Well I was going to put this in another section but it seems very apt to tell my tale of yesterday.  Walking back from the beach yesterday along the river with the dog and there were four workers from the Belediye spraying the river with mozzie stuff. I put Honey on her lead and when I got to the top of the river one of the workers was running after me shouting and screaming and waving his arms about.  Apparantly when I had got lead out of my bag my purse had fallen out and he found it and was returning it to me. Had my cards and dosh in it. I was so grateful, he didnt want thanks was just so pleased to give it back to me. I have received so many acts of kindness and generosity since living here from our hosts and the fact that we live in their beautiful country is the icing on the cake.  I know (well I dont, as I dont choose to associate myself with these types) that they should put up and shut up or leave.  If these types are otstracised by the folk who love living here perhaps they will bugger off.  I for one wouldnt stay anywhere where I wasnt happy.  These types havent got the courage of their convictions and spoil it for folk trying to make a living and for those who want to enjoy their new life in this special place.  Well off my soapbox now!!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 21:53:09 PM »
PS, my last comment was aimed at Scunner, not you Twin Bee!  LOL.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 21:53:15 PM »
...and THAT (post by busybee) is the real reflection of Calis. Sure, if you leave yourself open to it, you get ripped off, but for the most part people are fantastic. We aren't talking about 90% of the people here, I'd doubt if we are even talking about 1% - but as with the malicious gossip, this 1% account for 99% of that.

I've written on CBF about many stories of kindness, generosity, caring etc. and have read many many times more of similar experiences from many members. THAT is what it is like here, or could be if the 1% could just stop it.

The problem as I see it is, those who are living the good life are generally doing it privately and quietly and don't see the need to grab people and tell them just how great it is. The other problem is that the 1% won't bugger off - simply because they aren't doing it because they don't like it here; they are doing it because they do like it here and don't want more to arrive and enjoy it too.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 22:04:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rindaloo

Sorry, I do get your point but I am surprised that YOU admit to being potentially swayed by one person whingeing.  You don't strike me as the sort..

I know I know I know  :)

BUT

I know that life in Calis isn't anything like the picture they paint (or at least wouldn't be without their "type") - but I've lived here for 4 years. You may be surprised to know how many customers are coming to look at property who have never been here - some never even to Turkey.

If my plan was to move to Mongolia, having never been there before, and I bumped into a Brit who told me how much he regretted doing what I was hoping to do, and he was a good actor, I could imagine being taken in.

The point is, if one person is convinced not to go ahead (and more than one has already) - it is mission accomplished, perhaps they celebrate with just one more Efes, warm inside from the fact that they  did the ultimate - forget stabbing individuals in the back, they stabbed the country that welcomed them into their society well and truly.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 22:12:06 PM »
 :)Think Twin bee summed it up perfectly, ;)
So where's bloody camelot with my cheque.:P

Offline scot

• Ayr, Scotland, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 22:26:33 PM »
aye i agree with you laffa that Twin bee summed it up.  Bruce

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 22:39:37 PM »
Of course Twin Bee summed it up perfectly - we aren't talking about people like Twin Bee though

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf