Author Topic: Beach clean  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Pi55y

Beach clean
« on: April 21, 2008, 16:24:30 PM »
For those of you who may have been in Calis this morning you will have seen lots of people on the beach with refuse sacks including Tommy Turtle and members of the Calis Carnival Committee. For today was the start of Fethiye Belediyes Calis Beach Cleaning campaign which forms part of the annual Fethiye Tourism Week which runs from 15-22 April.

Between us we managed to collect many sacks of rubbish, broken glass and cigarette ends but what was really sad was the number of people who sat and watched us (with a few exceptions - well done the Bambu Bar and Tevik from the Nil Bar). Everybody moans about the state f the beach but when they see something happening do they help?  I dont think so!

Now that I hope I have made you all feel guilty I understand that there will be another cleaning session planned in the next week.  I will post details as soon as I am informed.

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
Beach clean
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 16:41:45 PM »
I was in the Orient and then the Nil around noon today and enjoyed myself. I certainly do not feel guilty for not collecting rubbish from the beach. If I feel like walking along the beach at any time and picking up any rubbish I see I will do so and not because some 'bossy boots' is telling me to!
Pete :-\ ;)

Offline sannyrut

Beach clean
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 16:52:53 PM »
I think that the local council(Beldeyesi)sorry,the spelling may be incorrect,should clean up the beach every day.I have seen council employees in Lanzarote,and Santa Ponsa,picking up everything,including cigarette ends, every morning when we were on holiday there.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 17:06:47 PM »
When we pay £1,500 a year council tax here like the UK, maybe they will.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 17:07:45 PM »
well done to all involved
same as canalman when we are on the beach we will pick up any rubbish left but i will not pick up the ciggie stubs

Offline Pi55y

Beach clean
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 17:18:55 PM »
Sorry if I hit a nerve canalman - no one was asking anyone to join in - it was just an observation of how many people watched (or in some cases lay on their sunbeds as we litter-picked around them!

I quite agree with Sannyrut. The Belediye, or if not them, the bars, should be responsible for cleaning the beach and there are pages and pages of posts on this and other forums about this subject.  Yet here we are again, yet another year, and we still have the same problem.

We spoke to the Tourism Manager and Director of FETAV this morning (who were also picking up litter) and asked for ashtrays/litter bins to be placed by the parasols on the beach to prevent it being like a giant ashtray - will it ever happen? We will see. In the meantime it is down to education and leading by example.

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
Beach clean
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 17:21:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Pi55y

The Belediye, or if not them, the bars, should be responsible for cleaning the beach

WHY ?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 17:22:25 PM »
I would maybe assume the people on sunbeds were on holiday and if I were on holiday, I'd watch too  :)

Offline STEVErx

Beach clean
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 17:30:10 PM »
icant understand why people leave litter in the first place
we had a plastic bag with us at all times when we came.
people should show some respect

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 17:34:51 PM »
Exactly  :)

Strong feelings about the beach, for 700 Lira/month we could sponsor someone to do just that, every day. So let's convert strong feelings into money/mouth action, post your monthly pledge below for the 6 month season.

[This is where everyone shuts up normally]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf