Author Topic: Beach clean  (Read 5234 times)

Offline lmaddy

Beach clean
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »
Pi55y well done with your efforts as least someone has got off their backside & done something about what everyone is moaning about. Yep the beleidye should do the work, or encourage the  bars to do it. But they haven't so well done. The beldiye are more likely to do it if they see others do it. Maybe

Canalman - just get over yourself! Why on earth have you taking this so personally, calling people "bossy boots" and you have no right etc.

Scunner, we talked about a trophy sponsered by CBF for the best beach area kept by a bar/restaurant. Is that still on the cards?
Maybe we can all put some money into a pot & the monthly winner gets some free advertising on the forum during the season.

Well done Pi55y - you do a lot for Calis with the carnival etc & it is appreciated.

Lorraine

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 10:12:34 AM »
Elaine, maybe, just maybe that would work. Surely the locals would like a clean beach for their children too. Would the local papers be willing to give it coverage do you think?  
If it could be arranged for some local kids to present the mayor with some 'findings' from the beach surely this would be a great kick start to the monthy trophy discussed in the past.  I don't mind putting something into the pot towards a trophy but I won't pay for someone to clean the beach.

Offline tonysue

Beach clean
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »
Originally posted by lmaddy

Pi55y well done with your efforts as least someone has got off their backside & done something about what everyone is moaning about. Yep the beleidye should do the work, or encourage the  bars to do it. But they haven't so well done. The beldiye are more likely to do it if they see others do it. Maybe

Canalman - just get over yourself! Why on earth have you taking this so personally, calling people "bossy boots" and you have no right etc.

I totally agree with these comments, it really pi**es me off when some people get off their ar*es to help and others stand back and critise. I dont know what the answer is to solve the beach clean problem but it is a concern.  We have invested our lifes savings into Calis by buying a property and would love to see the area prosper, this wont happen if the biggest asset -the beach- is neglected.We would support any effort to remedy the situation and would like to offer one suggestion - If you cant say something constructive then keep your gob shut! who was it said "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"?:-\

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 13:06:40 PM »
Well done to everyone involved in this. Whilst we never use that area of the beach (we go to the well kept one at the Birlk - kept clean BY the Birlik) I feel it is important for everyone, who wants to see Calis prosper, that this is carried forward.

I like the idea of giving a prize to bar/restaurant of the best kept area and I would willingly make a donation to the annual running costs of a beach cleaner. 700ytl per month works out around £3,300 per year.  That's nothing divided amongst, say, 1000 willing members.

I think we all need to continue to take away our rubbish when we leave the beach (and make a point of doing so) and hopefully this will rub off on those who cause the problem in the first place.

I don't want much to change in Turkey as I believe we are guests in their country but this is definately one of those things I would like to see improved.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 13:10:20 PM by stoop »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 14:47:05 PM »
Just to throw my personal opinion on one matter - it is good to see any effort to clean the beach but it isn't normal practice to do it then tell everyone afterwards then say that nobody helped! I am sure if people knew BEFORE rather than AFTER, many CBF'ers might have joined the effort on the day.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Beach clean
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 14:52:13 PM »
Stoop it's not about the money for me.
The Beledyie need to realise that if they want tourism to prosper they need to do their bit too and a good start would be keeping the beach clean and litter free.
The carnival committee did a great job and I applaud their efforts, just as I did a couple of years back when CFB had their beach cleaning day. There are pictures of that event too.
Cleaning the beach is not rocket science, if someone needs to be employed to keep it clean then let the bars who will benefit from the extra trade pay the salary. Although somehow I don't see that happening either.

Offline hubblebubble

Beach clean
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 14:52:32 PM »
Could not the tour operators also point out to the Beladiyes office that they sell holidays to Calis because there is a BEACH - a dirty beach is not a selling point!
The hotels in Calis could also be asked to pass requests for a more formalised cleaning arrangement.
In general Beladiyes office is likely to take notice of a flood of requests.
Alternatively maybe get the local newspaper to run a campaign inviting 'solutions' and comments from the municipality - at least this way there might be a formal budget for it next year.

Very well done to everyone involved in the recent clean up and to those restaurants undertaking to keep their part of the beach tidy.

Offline Pi55y

Beach clean
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 20:47:25 PM »
I quite agree Keith, if the Belediye want to start a beach cleaning campaign as part of their annual Tourism Week then it would have been good to advertise it first but like everything else there is very little publicity of events in the area and we only found out at our meeting the other day.

To be totally honest the beach was not in that bad a state - we have seen it far worse. It was mainly broken glass (which is unforgivable), zillions of dog ends, plastic and metal bottle tops and paper.  Most of the big rubbish which had accumulated over the winter had been picked up over the last couple of weeks, presumably by Belediye workers before putting the sunbeds and parasols out.

What it really needs is a really good raking to remove the small detrius and litter bins placed by the sunbeds. We would then be more than half way there and the situation would become manageable. If the bars could then spend just a few minutes litterpicking and raking the area in front of their bar each morning this would make their area of beach more attractive to potential customers and hopefully benefit them.

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
Beach clean
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 22:44:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tonysue

Originally posted by lmaddy

Canalman - just get over yourself! Why on earth have you taking this
so personally, calling people "bossy boots" and you have no right
etc.
tally agree with these comments, it really pi**es me off when some people get off their ar*es to help and others stand back and critise. I dont know what the answer is to solve the beach clean problem but it is a concern.  We have invested our lifes savings into Calis by buying a property and would love to see the area prosper, this wont happen if the biggest asset -the beach- is neglected.We would support any effort to remedy the situation and would like to offer one suggestion - If you cant say something constructive then keep your gob shut! who was it said "if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem"?:-\
Tonysue,
I am certainly not taking anything personally , but feel that I am not to be told that I am to feel guilty about not cleaning the beach when I hapen to be meeting old friends. Do you know who said 'If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem'? If you are implying that I (or anyone else) is part of 'the problem' of the litter on Calis beach then I will assure you that I never drop litter anywhere!. Unless you know what you are talking about, please keep your own council!
Pete

Offline grahamturner09

Beach clean
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 23:39:49 PM »
are we talking winter or summer here. i am from the seaside in the uk  and the beaches in the uk only get any attention in the summer the rest of the year they are just left.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf