Author Topic: Bits and bobs  (Read 1694 times)

Offline joe_alison

Bits and bobs
« on: May 03, 2008, 20:34:37 PM »
Hi everyone! I need your help again . . . As I have mentioned before, along with my wife and daughter we will be emigrating to Calis as soon as we have sold our house!

The thing is we are not planning to take any furniture with us . . .But! We have twenty years of memories we want to bring such as photo albums, small ornaments, pictures, nick-knacks, toot, more photo, albums mountains of cloths belonging to my 18-year old daughter and even more photo albums.

Please can someone help me by advising me who and how I do this. I have tried a couple of international shipping companies, but none are able fit my wants.

I wanted to bring a brand new 42" plasma TV but I have been told the electrical taxes are so high it simply isn't worth it. The TV cost me £1,200, so taking into account the container cost and these dame taxes is it worth it?

I know I can rely on my trusted companions within the forum and look forward to hearing from anyone.

Kind regards

Desperate Joe X

Offline kevman

Bits and bobs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 21:03:56 PM »
If you are bringing a container you can bring everything you need. Do not bring any electricals as the banderol tax is not worth it.However kitchen electrical items are not included in this.We brought a container a year ago at a total cost of 3.600 pounds. That included the Turkish end as well.We brought a 20ft container. It cost less than 400 lira to clear customs at Izmir and everything arrived intact.We used Freightbrain Int,who organised everything.Your alternative is to book cargo through the airline you are travelling with.Hope this helps

Offline joe_alison

Bits and bobs
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 21:10:12 PM »
Many thanks Kevman, this really has helped me in deciding not to bring any electical equipment.

Thanks

Joe

Offline joe_alison

Bits and bobs
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 21:18:52 PM »
Incidentally does anyone want to buy a brand new HD ready plasma worth £1,200 for £800?

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Bits and bobs
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 23:18:36 PM »
Someone will - get it on ebay with a reserve and I bet you will do well!

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Bits and bobs
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 01:43:21 AM »
if its just boxes of mementoes and such like consider excess luggage and arrange to be picked up this side, sell the tv in the uk its not worth the hassle bringing it out and buy new here.

Offline doll

Bits and bobs
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 06:15:08 AM »
you could send them by parcel post or a carrier
lots in turkey ups,aris, but ofcourse its not cheap
how about driving over if you have the time and make a holiday of it
then take car back after 6 months to uk and sell it then fly back
no electricals (you have to hide them disgaise them in old boxes)
can any family store them and bring them a bit at a time.
good luck.

Offline mel binks

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 09:26:30 AM »
hi, i brouht a 20ft container over in october via izmir at a cost of approx £4000 which included customs tax approx 1000 ytl, we declared electrical goods in the paperwork including tv's, sterio systems and all our household electrical like vacuum cleaner etc,we thought that what you could sell it for was neglible so moved lock stock and barrel, because when you way up your belongings and cost of replacement we thought we were on the profit side.hope it gives you food for thought
regards mel b

Offline waterdragon

Bits and bobs
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 17:50:48 PM »
Hi Mel

You mention you brought the whole lot over with you including your electrical household items. What was in that list? Did you bring a washing machine? Sorry for being nosy. Am trying to work out what to bring ourselves - which I hope will be very soon!

Thanks

Tim

Offline doll

Bits and bobs
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 20:25:17 PM »
if u can sell your stuff in uk
u can buy new in turkey
tv s and computers here are xpensive if u want latest models
but old styles not too bad
i think you end up paying twice for your old stuff when shippin abroad to turkey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf