Author Topic: Tap water  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Tap water
« on: May 04, 2008, 20:58:59 PM »
Apologies in advance as I know this has been covered before but I could not find it.
I am sure I have read on here before that some people say when in Calis they still use the bottled water for making hot drinks even though it is being boiled is it something to do with the different minerals or something?
The reason I ask is every time I come home from  Calis I have quite bad tummy pains for a few weeks and then it settles down again until the next visit.
Would be grateful for any answers.

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
Tap water
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 22:06:27 PM »
I have never had a stomach problem and I have been to Calis about 10 times now. We use bottled water for drinking but tap water for teeth cleaning, tea making and cooking. Bottled water is freely available and cheap so you have either option to choose from. I am told the tap water has a high mineral content and that is why people don't drink it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:29:41 AM by Twin Bee »

Offline cathy h

Tap water
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »
The water in Fethiye is of high quality, but you are right, the mineral content is high and some local people do suffer from kidney stones as a result. We use bottled water for all tea/coffee etc, but tap water for teeth cleaning. The cafes etc. don't use bottled water when making drinks, but when you are only here for relatively short times, I wouldn't think that there should be an issue with kidney stones. Cathy

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
Tap water
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:30:32 AM »
Tap water for tea ,coffee and bottled for a cold drink.

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
Tap water
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
I haven't bothered for years now, i just use tap water for all drinks, i think it will be more than water that sees me off, yeah, lemonade for one. Alan

Offline tonysue

Tap water
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:18 AM »
We use the tap water although we use a water filter first. We tell ourselves we are doing our bit to save the planet, all those empty plastic bottles- its more to do with lugging it home from the shops:D Its worth taking a filter over if you've got your own place, make sure its the type that uses a universal filter as some of those superduper britas ones can be expensive and hard to find. Every so often the water has a disinfectant taste to it,which can last a day or so. i think its the water authorities pumping extra chemicals in, but as we dont think we will be drinking it for the next 50 years, why worry.Ps. there are shops that hire BIG bottles and dispensers.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Tap water
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:46:52 AM »
We only use bottled water for drinking from cold. All other is straight from the tap.

Never had a problem.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Tap water
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »
I think you are missing the main point,,,the effects of high mineral content water is only likely to be evident long term. This is why it is mainly Turkish People who have a problem.  So holiday makers in this area need have no worries so drink what you want...I have to say though that cold bottled water from the cooler is wonderful on a hot summers day. :)

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Tap water
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 13:32:33 PM »
 :)Tribes I agree with you, my daughter ended up having her gall bladder removed this year and I put it down to the tap water,and believe me gal stones are agony, I would'nt like to see anyone go through that pain again,and keyhole sugery is'nt a walk in the park either,I think its a bit like one person can drink for a long time with no effects and others cannot, For the sake of a few bob I most definately would not take the chance, and to prove it buy a new kettle and watch how quickly the mineral forms in it.:P

Offline julesbob0303

Tap water
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 16:00:44 PM »
Laffa, we bought a new kettle in November and its only been used for two weeks (on a daily basis).  It has hard lumpy bits in it already which pour out into your drink - god knows what the water must do to your tummy!  Definitely use bottled, unless for teeth cleaning, when you're not swallowing it anyway.

Julie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf