Author Topic: river snakes  (Read 6629 times)

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
river snakes
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 20:25:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by pookie

quote:
Originally posted by laffa

:DBelieve me Gray, I know a snake when I see one.:P

Its OK laffa, its the greater spotted trouser snake that you need to be really careful with.... ;):D

Especially the ones with warts ;) 8)

Offline wingnut

river snakes
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 20:43:02 PM »
peecee thanks for the sensible reply it was a serious question, mr tibbs if you cross the bridge coming from palms side and look over to the left you will see a stagnant pond this is where the snakes slither about and the big slab of concrete below you is where the turtles and terrapins sunbathe,have a nice snake watching time wingy

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
river snakes
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 17:39:29 PM »
hubbie seen a brown water snake in march when he was fishing he was home early that day

Offline Kathryn Topcu

river snakes
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 18:28:37 PM »
I asked my husband about this, he is a local boy! He says that he used to play barefoot in all the rivers streams and ponds, which of course were more abundant then, although he is not that old. He never was bitten and used to catch the snakes to take home and frighten his poor mum with them. I have however said we will get divorced if he tries the same trick with me. Seriously though if you treat them and all nature with respect you will probably be OK

Offline pigeon

river snakes
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 19:27:21 PM »
should we stay away from the big greenish ones?[?] in the garden, and blooming fast.

Offline Kathryn Topcu

river snakes
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 20:40:46 PM »
Personally I'd stay away from anything snake like but then I have a phobia! Snakes don't attack unless provoked so keep the doors and windows shut and block any hole you think a snake might be able to wriggle through!! Hubby says he has never seen them are you sure they are not long green lizards which hubby says are harmless!He says he doesn't know of any incidents regarding snake bites amongst the locals, he says you should be more scared of scorpions!Oh what joy!!

Offline jondo

river snakes
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
Our last maintenance gardener, Omer, lost his father to a snake bite. Happened in one of the villages so probably too remote to get to a hospital on time for the anti-venom jab.

I've not been bitten by any snake although I used to catch grass snakes in Nairobi when I was a teenager. But I was spiked in the finger by a lion fish in Malindi and the pain was unbearable - had to have pain killing jabs- but fortunately unaffected by the 'poison'.

So, if you are bitten by a viper/adder, which has either the markings mentioned previously or the darker zig zag markings - get to the hospital without delay because although the venom will, generally, only kill the aged or weak, the pain will be severe.

Offline tonysue

river snakes
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2008, 10:19:16 AM »
Relax guys, they are far more scared of you than you are scared of them.   :oMY AR*E.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
river snakes
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
Oh gosh I really wish I had not read this thread I knew I should not but couldn't resist!We cross that river all the time and there is a really low bridge that many a time I have "slithered" my way down the bank to use this bridge rather than walk to the big bridge, sheer laziness I know, but never again now I know about the snakes waiting for me if I had happened to fall in!

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
river snakes
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 15:58:42 PM »
Pigeon......that is a hosepipe.:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf