Author Topic: kastelorizo  (Read 1518 times)

Offline bev

• Ilkeston, UK
kastelorizo
« on: May 12, 2008, 17:17:21 PM »
Hi
 I am planning on spending a couple of days on kastelorizo Island late May can anybody recommend the best place to stay. Is it best to book Selo's boat that is used for the visa run or can I get a boat in Kas. ( I dont need to renew my visa)

Thanks

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
kastelorizo
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 17:51:17 PM »
According to the Lonely Planet guide there's a bit of a strange situation regarding staying on Meis. Apparently, if you are going to stay on Meis for any length of time, you must arrive on a Greek registered boat.

"What was written below was merely the situation at the time of writing..........You can stay overnight on the island only if you travel on a boat owned by a Greek captain...............You can't stay overnight on the island or travel onwards to Rhodes if you take a Turkish boat."

I don't know whether this is still true, or whether it was a fact, but I'd check it out if I were you. The LP suggests that you phone the Tourist Office in Kas, but doesn't give a number.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
kastelorizo
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 18:13:53 PM »
Not certain about the exact ruling on this....I have read as KKOB mentioned above but as Selo approaches Meis he hoists the Greek flag and swaps it back on the return to Kas with the Turkish flag.  I would suggest a call to Selo might give you the definitive answer. :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
kastelorizo
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 18:18:25 PM »
I think that's a courtesy thing done by craft entering foreign ports throughout the world. You'll also see the Greek boats flying the Turkish flag when they enter Kas.

Offline bev

• Ilkeston, UK
kastelorizo
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 18:22:01 PM »
Hi
 if I can not stay overnight, is it worth doing as a day trip?
Thanks

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
kastelorizo
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 18:29:13 PM »
You can see most of the interesting part of the island in a couple of hours. Certainly worth a daytrip, plus you get the opportunity to buy duty free goods.

Offline bev

• Ilkeston, UK
kastelorizo
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 18:39:38 PM »
Hi
Just looked at a boat that departs kas at 10am and returns at 4pm.
so now need to look for a B&B in Kas with a central location.

Thnaks
Norma

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
kastelorizo
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 19:01:21 PM »
You can get a dolmus from Fethiye Otogar at 7.30 that gets to Kas around 9.30 and they're hourly from Kas to Fethiye for the return trip. The fare is about 12 YTL each way.

If you're going over with Selo, he'll get one of his lads to meet you at Kas Otogar.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 19:08:30 PM by KKOB »

Offline cathy h

kastelorizo
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »
I believe that you can now stay overnight on Mais as there is now officially a customs office there. Selo confirmed this on Tuesday. If you contact him he will be able to give you the accurate information. Cathy

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf