Author Topic: Should I worry about the sea?  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Beach_Bunny

« on: May 20, 2008, 17:28:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a rather random question to ask. I'm off to Calis Beach in September (very hot time of the year I hear?) and I'm slightly worried about the sea. I get a bit panicky in the water if I can't see where my feet are but I'm assuming the sea is clear judging by how blue it is, but what about Sharks and Jellyfish etc? I'm not planning on going too far out but are there any poisonous fish or anything I should watch out for? I did a google search but it didn't bring up any decent results. Help please?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 17:29:08 PM by Beach_Bunny »

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Should I worry about the sea?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 17:44:32 PM »
it is a bit rocky in place buy some of those jellybean swimwear shoes to wear,been in the sea lots of time at calis and not seen a shark or jellyfish yet
a brown bear was mentioned one year :D

Offline julesbob0303

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 17:52:24 PM »
Saw dolphins slightly further out at sea.  Not sure they'll bother you though  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 17:55:47 PM »
I've snorkelled for hours and never seen anything to worry about, even way out in the bay. I did see an octopus once and it worried me a little, it was all head and tentacles, but he just mozied on past.

Offline Beach_Bunny

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 17:59:40 PM »
I'm relieved now. Thankyou everyone :-)

I wouldn't mind seeing a dolphin, but anything else and I'd have a heart attack and drown. I hate things touching my feet too so I hope there's not a lot of seaweed.

An octopus? Oh my GOSH! I'd really freak out if I saw one. Probably best for me to avoid some of the watersports like snorkelling then.

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 18:07:53 PM »
more than about 20 feet feet out from the shore and you can't touch the bottom anyway:D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 18:09:23 PM »
That was off the side of a boat, I doubt you'll see one close to the beach  :)

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 18:17:21 PM »
Beach Bunny - I have exactly the same thing- I wear shoes in the sea- always, even if I can't touch the bottom (like on a boat trip). Don't pass up on the snorkelling, since I have been coming to Turkey I have managed to overcome my snorkelling phobia aswell (almost). I started off having to make a moaning noise to reassure myself that I was breathing properly, it got me in the rhythm. I only go when I have someone with me in case I do bump into something unpleasant (I never have and probably never will) Remember when snorkelling that your lenses are magnified and so it makes things seem much closer and much bigger than they really are. Lots of the shops in the area sell the beach shoes - good luck. If you see a moaning sea dragon with huge turquoise feet coming out of the sea- don't worry too much - it's only me.:D

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 18:38:44 PM »
Entering the sea at Calis can be a little disconcerting as the floor slips away suddenly.It can be a little tricky  and undignified getting back on dry land. Here shoes realy do help.

Offline Beach_Bunny

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 18:52:23 PM »
Are the sea shoes you mention 'crocs'?

http://hauteconcept.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/crocs_cayman_choc.jpg

Or are they different?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf