Author Topic: Another Attempted Con - Dalyan This Time  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Another Attempted Con - Dalyan This Time
« on: May 20, 2008, 22:41:15 PM »
A pretty tame con but one all the same, worth mentioning.

As I mentioned, we had a lovely day at Iztuzu Beach near Dalyan, but for some reason knowing exactly where to go when you arrive in Dalyan for the beach always confuses me a little. As we drove up to the big roundabout in town, I spied a man pointing me to turn left, I assumed he was meaning that the roundabout exit he was at was closed but didn't pay much attention as the exit he was standing at wasn't the one I was taking anyway, and leads down to the water taxi boats, which we didn't need.

As we weaved our way through the narrow streets a guy on a moped drove up beside me and thinking he wanted to talk I pulled over and opened the window. I asked him which way was quickest for Iztuzu Beach and he pointed me down a road that didn't seem to make sense but I went down anyway.

At the end of this road he pointed at a parking space, for me to pull into. I did, then the bull**** started. It was like a mini water taxi area. I informed him that I didn't need a boat as the big silver thing was a car, and I was more than happy to drive. Mrs Scunner then pointed out that he was the guy who pointed at the roundabout earlier. I didn't take any notice of him then, just saw a pointing arm.

He began a big sales pitch about taking a boat trip to the beach, many turtles to see etc, we could have mud baths (no thanks) and so the list of amazing things to do on this boat went on. Mrs Scunner said she just wanted to get back in the car and carry on to the beach, but I asked her to wait as I have heard that quite a few people had enjoyed the boat trip and it might be an option for us.

I asked him how much, and he showed me an "official list" - more like an old fax machine copy of something typed by a child - and he confirmed the price of 40 YTL each. With that I told him to forget it, why would I pay £65 when I could drive for 10 minutes to the same place for nothing. He became slightly more aggressive and I told him to be as angry as he wished to, we were getting in the car and going.

"Beach road closed, two weeks working, only by boat to Iztuzu Beach".

Guess what - no closed road, no problem.

Once again, the devious plan seems to be to point people away from the well known Dalyan water taxi harbour, and shadowing you to a rather fake one in order to rip you off on trips. As we weren't going to the boats in the first place, he had little chance of doing that to us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf