Author Topic: Charity Boxes  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« on: May 24, 2008, 17:22:55 PM »
Here's an idea which I should probably have put forward around three weeks ago at the start of the season.

How about CBF Starfish Charity Boxes in as many of the tourist shops, bars and restaurants as will have them.

Then each time a CBF member visits that establishment he or she pops in a contribution however small. Sums might mount up over the season.  

Obviously for this to be successful, it would depend on someone in Turkey taking the time to get it up and running at the start and then taking the time to collect the contributions, say weekly.

I fully realise that it's very easy to make suggestions from the comfort of my armchair and that's quite a lot to ask of someone to do. But it would give us the opportunity to do our bit for the place we all love.

Just a thought:..

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 17:54:15 PM »
Good idea but I always worry about boxes on bars. Some toe rag always manages to nick one or more and I guarantee it would be a Brit!

Might work though if you can get someone to set it up.

Offline jono

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 19:57:47 PM »
Stoop.  Quote
quote:
Good idea but I always worry about boxes on bars. Some toe rag always manages to nick one or more and I guarantee it would be a Brit!

Might work though if you can get someone to set it up.

I cannot believe that was posted by a moderator who I presume is not a "Brit". Why should the theft of charity boxes come into Highlander's
idea to raise money for charity? Is it really that bad in Calis ?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 20:09:13 PM »
Jono - I'll leave Stoop to respond to your post. Im sure I know the point he was trying to make.

I have only one request - if you want to debate theft in Calis, can you please do it somewhere else and leave this post as it was intended.

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 20:10:50 PM »
 :oI feel a huge debate coming on, bye bye........... ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 20:21:43 PM »
That's my fear Laffa:(.

Please lads and lasses - don't go off topic on this thread, it's about charity boxes.

Offline jono

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 20:45:42 PM »
Highlander as a new member here I do not want to cause friction amongst you older members.I totally agree that your post is purely about charity and it was posted in the most sincere way to raise money for the charity in question. Which I do not know anything about.
I would not have posted a reply on this subject to be honest but when I read what Stoop had posted it annoyed me that he was bringing the subject of theft of charity boxes up and suggesting it would be Brits that would probably steal them. I am sorry if I am wrong but I also know what Stoop was thinking. But even so it was not right to say it. After all this is Turkey/Calis we are talking about, not the UK.
jono.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 21:24:55 PM »
No problem Jono. This Forum, like any other, would be the poorer for people not reacting to things that "annoyed" them.

In this case, I think the main point that Stoop wanted to make was that, whilst the boxes might be a good idea, there was always the possibility that some boxes might be nicked.

I think that you and I would concede that. Unfortunately, Stoop then linked that to a personal opinion about who was more likely to commit the crime. I know exactly what he meant as I have personal experience of it.

Lets leave it at that.

As to you being a new member, I suspect that you are not going to be shy in putting your point of view forward on a variety of topis and I look forward to reading them.

Enjoy the Forum and take care

Regards

H
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 21:30:22 PM by Highlander »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 22:51:21 PM »
First of all I am a 'Brit' - born in Leeds to and English mum and Scottish dad! What I was saying is that although the idea is great I worry that some boxes would get stolen and if I was going to wager a bet I would say it was less likely to be the Turkish and more likely to be a fellow Brit who would do such a thing.

Sorry if I offended any of my fellow countrymen but I'm afraid that's just the way I see things.

As for being a moderator - that does not exclude me from having opinions as far as I am aware.

Now back on topic (my fault it went off I guess).

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 22:52:51 PM by stoop »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 23:16:03 PM »
Don't worry Stoop - I'm not beneath posting it under "Charity Boxes and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf