Author Topic: Charity Boxes  (Read 2542 times)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 23:39:02 PM »
i agree with stoop here someone who as had a few too many scoops might think it's a good joke to take one of the charity boxes one night
and on the other hand it is a good idea of H's
why not someone going in their spare time,round the bars etc like the sally army (only an example) with a charity box, it won't get nicked then

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 23:43:27 PM »
Well I as a parent of a child (not even child really my son is 18 this year) with "special needs" will willing donate anything that is needed to one of these boxes for the Starfish charity. What a brilliant idea Highlander.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 09:31:16 AM »
Our local has had the bottle on the bar nicked a few times over the last 11 years (it's for the blind) so they now chain it to the bar.

I think it's a great idea H and with a bit of thought and organisation I'm sure it would be a winner.

Maybe we could organise it with the bars so that every time a CB member comes in with a CB t-shirt on - the bar owner donates something as well.

In fact a good incentive would be for a 'sticky' thread on here stating which bars are supporting the scheme as well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 09:32:54 AM by stoop »

Offline kismetbar

Charity Boxes
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
As a bar owner, we've had charity boxes in the bar and sadly yes, we had one nicked!! I think puma's idea is better. Also remember, you are restricted here with how you collect money. The box must be sealed and locked and the box can only be emptied by somebody registered with the charity. It's a shame that we have to hide our charity box as people don't know it's there unless they can see it. And as a result, charity loses out! Saying that, still think Highlanders is a good idea, if it can be managed!!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Lots of useful information Nigel, thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:36:56 PM by Highlander »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kismetbar

As a bar owner, we've had charity boxes in the bar and sadly yes, we had one nicked!! I think puma's idea is better. Also remember, you are restricted here with how you collect money. The box must be sealed and locked and the box can only be emptied by somebody registered with the charity. It's a shame that we have to hide our charity box as people don't know it's there unless they can see it. And as a result, charity loses out! Saying that, still think Highlanders is a good idea, if it can be managed!!

It's such a sad world we live in at times:( - how can anyone who steals from the needy sleep at night?

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Charity Boxes
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »
I am such a din! I thought the post meant boxes as in make up boxes full of items for charity like sending the shoe boxes abroad with all sorts of items for disadvantaged children!
Would still put money in a box but can not believe that people would pinch them.
Does anyone know wether the Starfish calendars were made this year?

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
Charity Boxes
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 10:56:04 AM »
sorry puma but the thought of some one going round like they do in UK shaking little box's in my face puts me right of giving to charity, it leaves it open to all the con men and women and do we really know who we are giving to. The best idea is the box on the bar or when getting the bill the waiter asks if you would like to donate. As long as it is done in a professional manner then I have no problems with donating  :)

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
Charity Boxes
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »
here's an idea
get various bars and restaurants to participate
put a poster in each bar or restaurant giving details of how to donate
there should be 2 ways of donating
(1) undisclosed donation in to a sealed box
(2) a percentage donation of between 2 and 5 % of the bill (put in to the sealed box)
all participating establishments listed on the various web sites for the area
(a good bit of advertising for the bar or restaurant at no cost)  :)

Offline Pi55y

Charity Boxes
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 16:54:05 PM »
I am afraid that the idea of putting charity boxes in bars and restaurants in Turkey is not as simple as it seems.

As someone who has just spent the whole day in the Beldiye office, the court house, Fetav and the Manager of the Associations Office in the Kaymakams office, to get some simple collecting boxes agreed for the forthcoming carnival on 7 June, the hoops that you have to go through are a nightmare!

Firstly to become a named official collector (and everyone who is going to collect for us  has to do this) you have to provide a copy of your passport and residency (non residents - don't even bother), two passport photographs and you then have to go the new courthouse and get an official paper to say that you do not have a criminal record.  You then have to go a Turkish Govenment website to get a kimlik number and take this to the office in the government building next to FETAV where you have to prove your address attached to this kimlik number and get another official paper. If you are Turkish you also have to provide a copy of your birth certificate.

Several hours later, then and only then, you have to put a petition to the Manager of Associations office saying what you are collecting for. You have to give a projection of how much you expect to raise, less expenses, and what you intend to use the money for. You then have to substantiate this with receipts within a set time.

Now for the fun bit, the collecting box has to be sealed and locked by the said Associations office,who retains the key,(ours have big padlocks on them), preferably see through and it has to be opened in the company of the same officer at an agreed time. The box has to be located at a named designated point with the official named collector whose paperwork has been approved and records are kept of this at the Belediye.  Finally you are not allowed to go round with the box to collect money, so donations have to come to you.

Now you see why I said no throwing small change at the floats at the carnival, any donations no matter how small have to be placed into the locked collecting boxes at set points manned by the official named collectors.

I now think I need rather a large drink!!!!!!!!!!!![xx(]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf