Author Topic: My most challenging question yet!  (Read 2867 times)

Offline joe_alison

My most challenging question yet!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 14:30:01 PM »
I would just like to thank everyone who has contributed to my plight! I still have no idea what to do though, but it has given food for thought . . .

Thank you

Joe

Offline starman

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 17:23:33 PM »
As some have said, a car full or an estate you could pull it off but with a Luton then you are opening yourself up to many many headaches and it will be customs that will finish it off.
The rule is you can bring in 1500 euros worth of personal effects, a luton full of stuff is worth way more then that and at best they will let you bring it in on a temporary basis (gecici kabul).
To be honest this is something where you would really need to spend money on if you want a stress free move and work with someone who is FIDI approved and not just any mickey mouse outfit that does it cheaper. I learned the hard way by bringing a 20ft container and going for the cheapest shipper. They sent it to Istanbul 1 month late and then left it at the port for me to do all the paperwork and they never tell you about things like THC (terminal handling charge) or SIT (storage in transit).
My advice is to ship it with an experienced company that has good connections with Turkey and ships to Turkey often and are FIDI registered.
FIDI members have to pass strict quality tests and they dont hand out memberships to anyone and at the moment there are only 4 FIDI companies in Turkey. Only 2 of them have offices in Izmir.
Also there is only one company that does removals by road from UK to Turkey and all under the same roof and only one company (different one) that ships via sea from UK to Turkey (except they dont have an office in Izmir) that is under one roof.
Also dont even think about shipping until you have your residence permit (permit not visa)

Offline joe_alison

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 19:48:41 PM »
Thanks for that starman-

I am confused though becuase you say

"Also dont even think about shipping until you have your residence permit (permit not visa)"

Well everyone is telling me to apply for this once we are in Turkey! Well how then can I ship my goods from the once I arrive in Turkey!

This is really getting confusing now!

Offline starman

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 04:56:14 AM »
easy. get your stuff packed. Hold it in storage untill you get your residence then once you have it give the green light to the shipper to send it.

Offline miaspyro

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »
It might be worth having a rethink, and buying in turkey, I have friends who left smaller and sentimental items in a family members loft and brings some  over every time they go to uk, or have people coming out.  Many Kennels in the uk arrange all the travel docs that your little (ha ha) dog needs.  I also believe that you can go to the customs police here and get permission to bring used goods into turkey, i know you must keep the goods for 5years, might be worth a visit to the british consulate to get the correct and most up to date information.  Hope you dont mind my comments and can i wish you all the best for your new life in Turkey.

Offline starman

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 16:28:48 PM »
British consulate wont be able to give definet information as most customs people dont know it themselves. There is no customs police by the way and also there is nothing about having to keep goods here for 5 years.
If people bring in say a 40 foot container and went to do it as a permanent export then it is possible but you will not find out what the taxes are until the day of inspection and they work it out themselves by what the "feel" the goods are worth and the depreciation factor too. Then its all done under the table.

Just remember that most movers and customs agents will try to bring the goods in under a temporary import, if you plan to stay here then DONT do this as you will have to re-new your customs declaration every year which is a pain and if you dont renew it then you get a heavy fine.

By the way, I dont work in shipping anymore so please dont come to me for quotes  :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 16:30:02 PM by starman »

Offline waterdragon

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »
Starman

As you have seen I've moved away from the "self-drive" approach myself. This is partly due to recommendations from you in previous discussions which I posed. Thanks for the advice.

I have another problem!

In your post above you say that if you are moving permanently then you should avoid temporary import. This is advice I've seen elsewhere as well.

My problem is that the company I am planning to move with is saying that their Turkish agent are saying that there is no way that Customs will accept a 20ft container as being valued at less than 1500€. As such it then falls into the temporary import regime in line with the published rules.

Given that I want to get permanent import do you have any recommendations of Turkish agents who would be willing to try for permanent import? Or do you think this might be seeing a "sea-change" in the way that Turkish Customs are acting and the days of permanent import of a 20ft containers are past?

As a point of interest I am not trying to avoid any import taxes - just don't want the hassle of temporary import status!

Many thanks

Tim

Offline starman

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
Ask your removal company to change their agent. 20ft containers can and have been brought in under the taxed way even though it is over 1500 euros worth. Ask Kayakoyoldboy as he did it. I have overseen people who have brought in over 80 cubic meters which is a 40ft and half a 20ft container.
I can give you a list of companies that can do this in Izmir but I wont write them here as I dont want to be called a spammer even though I dont work for a removal company.

Offline waterdragon

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
Starman

Thanks - it is as I suspected! You can email me through the forum link if you want to send me the list of companies. It might also be useful if you could give me your thoughts on the current company and their Turkish agent in the "privacy" of an email exchange.

Thanks again

Tim

Offline kevman

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 20:28:34 PM »
Hi Joe,We used John at Freightbrain and he discussed what was best for us at the time.When we got here we organised our residency and  when we had it in our hands we then emailed John to get our container on it's way.Total cost 3,600 pounds and that included Ozcan Soyers charges as well.At the time our friends were bringing over a golden retreiver.This was done through Thomas Cook cargo at a cost of 1000 pounds.They came on the same flight. Hope this helps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf