Author Topic: Quarantine for pets  (Read 5418 times)

Offline GrantT

Quarantine for pets
« on: November 23, 2008, 16:19:45 PM »
Does anyone know how the quarantine laws work if you are taking dogs back home from Turkey via road ? I know you can bring dogs to Turkey with no quarantine to worry about, but I was wondering what the situation was if you have to return, with regards to the 6 months quarantine requirement in the UK. If you are driving, you would enter the UK from France and not Turkey obviously, but I take it the quarantine would still apply ? And what about passing through other countries on the way to the UK - would they allow entry ?

Hope that all makes sense .....

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Quarantine for pets
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 16:56:24 PM »
The UK is the only country in Europe that applies quarantine restrictions.

In the past the animal needed documents to allow transit within each of the countries through which you intend to drive, but this may have changed since more countries have joined the EU.

Take a look at the DEFRA website for up to date info.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/

Offline Old Daffodil

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
The only information I can find out is about transporting dogs on flights. I cannot find anything about transporting your pets by road. Has anyone done this please?

Making a trip from Turkey back to the UK.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 12:59:16 PM by Daffodil »

Offline Firo

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 13:10:20 PM »
Your dog will have to do 6 months in UK quarantine if coming (country of orign) from outside an EU country.
The only alternative is to find a kennels or friend in France, for example, where your dog can spend 6 months and be registered with a local vet. I think he will have to be jabbed for rabies in Turkey and have that paperwork for travel. When they get to France register with a local vet and have the blood tests done and start the process of geting an EU Pet Passport. After following all the necessary procedures after 6 months the dog can enter the UK without quarantine.
Lots of folks doing this rent somewhere in Europe and live there for the 6 months.
Good luck but those are the only options.
Fi

Offline Old Daffodil

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 13:32:43 PM »
We have have all the paperwork necessary for travel into Europe I think (rabies jabs up to date etc) but we wondered if there is an official web site where we could check the exact rules.We would rent in Europe, France for example and then return to uk. Has anyone actually made a border crossing with a dog?Thanks for the reply Firo.

Offline peecee

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 00:11:23 AM »
A friend of mine has just done it (taken a dog through Europe as far a Germany)  Greece will not accept dogs from Turkey (he managed to get her through but how I can't tell you else he would be in trouble!) It didn't involve money.  You can go through Italy.  You also need to get 'permission' for the dog to leave Turkey (from Government, costs about 50tl to get paperwork!!)  Your vet can sort that out for you (Mustafa did it for my friend Steve)  Once the  permission is granted you have, I believe, 7 days to leave the country.  For the rabies this must be done at least 1 month before travel.
As Firo says the dog must stay in Europe for 6 months before entry to UK.  If you like I can put you in touch with Mustafa the vet who can sort it out for you. Email me if you want his no.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 21:14:41 PM »
I contacted the Greek embassy in Ankara today and they told me that dogs can be taken into Greece from Turkey if the necessary documentation is in order. They have emailed me the following,
Dear Sir,

To entry Greece with your dogs, it will be enough to have their passports,
vaccination documents and the necessary export papers.

Consular Section
 of the Greek Embassy
          Ankara

Offline clipper

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »
Thanks for the info regarding transport of dogs back through Europe. I am in the process of doing exactly that. Our vet is Mustafa. He is now preparing documents for an October date. We are looking for accommodation in France to stay with our two dogs for six months. Can anyone help? Clipper

Offline Old Daffodil

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

http://www.angloinfo.com/

Maybe this will help.  :)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Quarantine for pets
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
We can give you all the advice you need on France as we are currently doing the same thing. Firo has got most of it right in what you need to do. The change that I would make to her suggestion is that the dogs will have to be vaccinated in France. Get your 2 dogs chipped first as there is an order that these things have to be done.

You can take your dogs through Greece. We had no problems the Greek customs saw the dogs in the back of the car and I got the paperwork out and handed it to the customs man and he asked me if the dogs were chipped. I said yes and he waved us through. I dont know if it was because we were driving a UK reg car.

If you o by car take the ferry to Ancona as it saves a great deal of driving and you et an overnight sleep. The dogs can be taken into some cabins but they do have kennels for them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf