Author Topic: Koca calis  (Read 3971 times)

Offline farmer

Koca calis
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 19:44:08 PM »
The Chromium Ore deposits stretch southwards from Gocek towards Calis.
The area is said to have the fourth largest deposits of Chromium Ore in the world.
Calis was indeed founded as a " workers " camp to service the transport and loading / unloading of the crude ore at the jetty which is now the site of the Sat Cafe.
The single track Railway line ran along the shoreline of what is now Calis Beach.
The 1957 earthquake resulted in a downward tilt in the shoreline, submerging the foundations of the line into the sea. It must have been a very good concrete they used in those days, as after 52 years much of the foundation work concrete is still in evidence as the unwary will find just a few feet from the shoreline!

The biggest earthquake in the Fethiye area ( 1857 ) had the oppposite effect in Fethiye. The Lycian Tomb near the Belediye was originally built in the Sea. It must now be at least 100 yds inland and 15 feet above sea level!

Does anybody have a photo of the ore train actually running along what is now Calis Beach?

I would like it to present it to the Orient Express restaurant! :)
Farmer

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Koca calis
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 20:43:18 PM »
We were told that the land which is now Calis Prom was thought to be worthless . A friend of ours who owns a hotel was given the land it is on  by his father and the eldest son, his brother as was customary was given the better prize of farm land to the back in what is now Gunlukbasi. Who got the better deal there?

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Koca calis
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 20:53:29 PM »
Great information Farmer.  I did wonder if an earthquake had hit it when I saw the water level.  It reminded me of a similar shift in land that we were told about in Jamaica

Offline turkeysue

Koca calis
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 21:51:27 PM »
to-day has not been wasted...this is so interesting many thanks..

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Koca calis
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 04:55:03 AM »
All these snippets make a very interesting story....keep them coming. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:55:24 AM by tribalelder »

Offline denniz

Koca calis
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 12:56:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Toky

I love it. Hope you don't mind but I copied and saved it to my documents. It's only for my personal folder of Calis, but if you mind, I'll delete it. :D

hi toky,your welcome,infact thats what the information super highway is all about,my turkish friend has this picture i just scanned and copied it....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Koca calis
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 13:26:18 PM »
Old photos always make an interesting topic on CBF. For newer members, here are some classic older topics with some really superb glimpses of various bygone ages:

Old Calis: http://calis-beach.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23306

Old Fethiye: http://calis-beach.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20261

Offline sandra.jones1

Koca calis
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
:D  WOW thanks guys, loved this topic, great reading, its the first time ever i have had such info before taking a holiday, keep up the good work,
p.s. the old pic was fantastic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf