Author Topic: Injections for Holiday  (Read 5454 times)

Offline DANKY

• Never red
Injections for Holiday
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 21:23:46 PM »
i am  more worried about being bittern by the Mosquitoes than anything else, my wife and 3 children have never been  Inoculated in the last ten years of coming to Turkey, but i suppose its down to the individuals concerned

Offline julesbob0303

Injections for Holiday
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 22:26:05 PM »
We were advised by our local nurse to have the jabs before our first visit to Turkey almost 4 years ago, along with a top-up the following year, which covers us for 25 years.  We all had them done (reluctantly, on my part, as I also HATE needles!)   :o

The nurse (a male) was a mate of my husband's and we think he was on commission for every injection he gave.  He couldn't believe his luck when 5 of us turned up - and again, a year later for the second one!!!  :D

Offline tiddly winks

Injections for Holiday
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 23:07:14 PM »
Ahh julesbob, I think its the top-up i'm getting next month.

Does it really last 25 years? If so, I'll be very happy! :D

Offline kevman

Injections for Holiday
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 10:30:41 AM »
Tetanus are 10yearly and recommended even if you just live in the Uk. We have been coming to Turkey for 10years and lived here for 3yrs. Never had injections for coming here at all. Some nurses give them and charge you, some places you can get them free.During the 90's while we were travelling the far east we had injections and they last 10yrs not a lifetime. Also ours were free yet our friends were charged 70pounds for same injections at there local clinic!!

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Injections for Holiday
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 14:08:06 PM »
i had jabs for my first visit 10 years ago, i just went to the docs and asked him what i needed. as much as you may not like needles, a few seconds of discomfort is better than suffering from tetanus or hepititis.. thats how i'd look at it x

Offline Steve A

Re: Injections for Holiday
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 17:07:11 PM »
Thought I would open this one up again as its health related.Went to see practice nure as part of medical tests I have to have for work.Iam fit and in good health.Nurse advised that I should have Tetanus,Diptheria,Typhoid ,Hep A & Hep B for Turkey and gave me a little travellers guide to look at.She said they were only recommendations but better be safe than sorry was her motto and offered me them there and then at no charge ,so I said yes.She checked and said Diptheria and Tetanus are only ever given together in the UK so if you have had one you have had both and its a max of 5 in a lifetime unless you get a particularly dirty cut then they may give a booster as a safeguard.I am fully innoculated against Hep B,again due to my job.So she gave me Typhoid,redoable every 6 months,Hep A 2 in a lifetime.1 sjot in each arm at lunchtime both aching like hell now.So Iam off to read the guide she gave me to see if wife and kids should get done,I will advise but its their choice.

Offline sandgrounder

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 17:09:10 PM »
Thought I would open this one up again as its health related.Went to see practice nure as part of medical tests I have to have for work.Iam fit and in good health.Nurse advised that I should have Tetanus,Diptheria,Typhoid ,Hep A & Hep B for Turkey and gave me a little travellers guide to look at.She said they were only recommendations but better be safe than sorry was her motto and offered me them there and then at no charge ,so I said yes.She checked and said Diptheria and Tetanus are only ever given together in the UK so if you have had one you have had both and its a max of 5 in a lifetime unless you get a particularly dirty cut then they may give a booster as a safeguard.I am fully innoculated against Hep B,again due to my job.So she gave me Typhoid,redoable every 6 months,Hep A 2 in a lifetime.1 sjot in each arm at lunchtime both aching like hell now.So Iam off to read the guide she gave me to see if wife and kids should get done,I will advise but its their choice.

Are you sure she wasn't trying to put you down Steve lol

Offline Steve A

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 17:25:20 PM »

Are you sure she wasn't trying to put you down Steve lol
Take more than that ,you know me Russ !

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 17:44:36 PM »
We had never had injections either, but last year there was a piece in the press that said if you don't get the injections advised for the country you are visiting and contract anything the injections would have prevented your Travel Insurance would be invalided and you would have to pay for any medical treatment incurred yourself.
We rang the Doctors and went and got the injections. Whilst in the Surgery the nurse told us there had been a rush to get injections after the piece in the press. The nurse told me she had updated all of her's to comply, she has a place in Turkey too.
So, no necessity, but better to get them just in case.  Medical treatment in Turkey can be expensive, plus if you miss a flight home you would also be paying for a re-scheduled one yourself.  Might know the Travel Insurance Companies would think of another loophole.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf