Author Topic: Check your Doors and Windows  (Read 1715 times)

Offline maximumtom

Check your Doors and Windows
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:57:14 AM »
If you have UPVC doors and windows you will, most likely, have catches that (should) engage when you lift the handle. I was surprised, when my house was burgled, to find that there was only one screwdriver jemmy mark on the UPVC. I wondered how that single jemmy could overcome the 5 catches. On investigation of the door, and other doors and windows in the house, I found that the moving bits on the window did not (in many cases) align with the plates on the window frame and so did not function to lock the window or door.
I have wondered since whether this was sheer incompetence on the part of the installers or whether there is a more sinister interpretation.  Whatever the cause, you( and anyone buying a new or used house in the future) would all be wise to check your doors and windows .

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »
Another weak point to watch for is on outward opening UPVC doors, the hinges will be in full view, and in may cases are easily removed.

Offline maximumtom

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
Yes, it is wise to beat the top flat with a hammer to stop the pin being taken out easily.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
I found exactly the same.
Unfortunately it was after being burgled.
I think it is just a case of cheap windows and poor manufacture. They are (or certainly wern't in my case)anything like the quality of the windows we had fitted in the UK. A couple of hours adjusting the catches made them much more secure, then this year I fitted the additional locks to the inside of the windows & doors.
Paul

Offline ukchris

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 13:18:39 PM »
In the uk I owned a house with outward opening french doors. Got broken into just by pulling the doors open and the locking mechanism between the doors came out as held in by srews into the plastic.

In the end I fitted a new set of doors, had to get a complete set with frame as B&Q had changed the design so I couldn't just fit the new doors to the old frame.

I bought some sash jammers, very simple to fit and they really seem to make the doors feel strong. They work on windows too, can be fitted in five minutes and are roughly £4 each. Put as many on your windows/doors as you feel neccessary

Sell them on ebay, just search for sash jammers strangely enough. They also do versions with locks built in

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 13:24:59 PM by ukchris »

Offline kevin b

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 15:19:37 PM »
Sold in Turkey on markets for 3tl

Offline milliemars

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 17:09:10 PM »
Don,t think the Turkish ones have locks inbuilt.

Offline ukchris

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 18:32:14 PM »
the lock is only extra precaution, basically they help stop the door/window being forced open by being tight against your frame.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 23:05:42 PM »
You can buy both locking & non locking versions in Turkey from most hardware shops. I took about 6 over that I bought off the internet and bought more cheaper in Turkey.
Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf