Author Topic: Is is a Yucca and where will it be happy?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Is is a Yucca and where will it be happy?
« on: May 11, 2010, 13:00:53 PM »
Bought a Yukka like plant from garden centre (yukka construction but evil spikes that really hurt when you are weeding), and planted it in garden (full sun) where it flourished for over a year.  Then in the summer the stem went mushy and the top fell off leaving a baby in the ground.  It is still there and growing steadily.  The top part was shoved into a pot and it is beginning to grow anew from the centre.  

So, we are thinking we should (could) put it into the garden.  Now I think I know the answer, but need second, and third, opinions.  The spot we are thinking of putting it is by a drain pipe (full sun till about 2pm then house shields it), so when it rains the ground gets pretty wet, but in the summer can be fairly dry.  I suspect the wetness might be a problem.  In fact, I wonder if this is the reason it fell in two in the first place (over watering in the summer).

Offline calvin 1949

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 13:20:25 PM »
Hi, there is a web site called "Lets Go Gardening " if you bring that up and search for yukka  i think you will find all you need to know and maybe more :)Regards Calvin

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 14:11:07 PM »
Be careful of planting near a drain pipe incase the roots start to invade the pipe and the house foundations.

Provided that the ground is well drained it won't matter if it gets very wet in winter. The "baby" should be OK throughout the summer without watering.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 14:24:49 PM »
lol Rindi - what with yukkas and cannas and the like you will be opening the Botanical Gardens of uzumlu before too long !  You must be working hard xx

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 14:30:15 PM »
Recon I have identified it as Yucca aloifolia http://www.floridata.com/ref/Y/yucc_alo.cfm

I tell you Pookie, living in Turkey makes me feel I have green fingers.  Plants used to gasp when I bought them, here they seem immune to my murderous touch.....  8)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 15:34:12 PM by Rindaloo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf