Author Topic: Unabashed trumpet blowing  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Sue T

Unabashed trumpet blowing
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »
Last year we raised 30,344TL and this year we are on route to do better!
We are coming to the end of our sixth full year and we pioneered the route for foreigners to legally raise charitable funds, when we persuaded FETAV to give us the cover of their Vakif (charitable status) and we taught them what fun and how rewarding this was.
Since our inception we have given away over 100,00tl back into the local community.  We are all volunteers so well less than 20% of our income goes on expenses, rent, electric, furnishings etc.
We give bursaries to university students, books and other requested items to schools; our marvellous knifty knitters donate dozens of jumpers to give to village children along with the shoes we have often bought.  We have furbished over four new nursery classes with chairs tables and toys and we sponsor and organise medical help for children who have somehow fallen through the net.
We think it is great that others have followed in our footsteps and that they are doing great things as further needs can always be found.
You can find more about us on our - somewhat pedestrian - website www.figfethiye.org  sponsored by the Land of Lights newspaper (hasn't that paper come on recently) and the inside back page of that paper.
We run a charity shop in Dolgu sahisinda behind Mado on the promenade runnning out of Fethiye and towards Calis, see website or L of L newspaper for a map.
We really welcome quality donations to our shop as per Mary Queen of charity shops and we recommend you browse the very large selection of reading books we have been given.
And if you want to volunteer to help this worthwhile project then contact me or julesp who manages the shop.
Liaison with local businesses/hotels could be one role
management of one off fund raising events another
and always important volunteering in the shop.

And watch this space 'cos we stand to get bigger and bigger!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 17:23:56 PM by Sue T »

Offline hazel dorrington

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:35:47 AM »
Fantastic work Sue.Keep up the good work.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »
Well done Sue and all others invovled. that's a fantastic achievment

Offline Julesp

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:16:58 PM »
Would like to thank and congratulate the shop volunteers for all their hard work this past year, they are a fantastic group.

More volunteers are always welcome especially those who would be willing to do the occasional few hours when needed to cover for sickness, holidays etc, you could contact me through this forum or by my phone number which is in land of lights.

Offline Firo

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 14:51:13 PM »
Well done to all of you at FIG you seem to be overlooked a lot of the time but as you said you were the pioneers here in Fethiye. We are proud to be working with you under Fetav.
Onwards and upwards
Fi & Eric

Offline FrankStanley

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 20:52:11 PM »
My better half is still knitting Sue, keep up the good work.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 21:03:43 PM »
A fantastic achievement. Very well done to all concerned. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 21:09:27 PM by Highlander »

Offline Sue T

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 09:18:08 AM »
F.I.G is all the volunteers who work for it and it is all folk who remember to donate to it and support it, without all these, the isolated teacher would have less interesting materials to work with which especially affects the newly qualified and hopeful teachers and believe me they are surprised and very grateful that folk they do not know bother to care.
And FIG is very pleased to have the fun and lively cadianda quiz team working together with us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf