Author Topic: Goverment vehicle insurance  (Read 11150 times)

Offline bunny4jeff

Goverment vehicle insurance
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »
OMG - its no wonder confusion reigns, with some Notaries insisting on a residency and others not...isn't there one person or head of department who has authority over them, who is able to make sure all Notaries are informed as to what is the law on this and what is not. Our friend, a sworn Translator, phoned the police for clarification on this, she was told that foreigners need to have residency in order to buy or sell a car in Turkey. If thats so, why are they not making sure all Notaries have the same information?. People are contributing a lot of info here on the Forum, but there is still different opinions. Some say definitely yes to residency, others say definitely not. I think we need absolute clarification one way or the other, and everyone should act accordingly. We have no wish to break the law, or get around it; we just want to know what actually IS the law.

Offline Eric

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 16:32:20 PM »
Spoke to Koray Atak today regarding this, yet again.  He reiterated that there has not been a change in the law that requires residence to either buy or sell a car, there has been a change in the requirements for recording such a sale.  As in the article above, the authorities in their infinate wisdom decided to ask for a persons kimlik number on the computer system, forgetting that foreigners can buy and sell but do not necessarily have a kimlik number.  The easiest way around this, according to them, was to tell everyone to get residency and then their kimlik number to make it easier for the authorities.  A similar cock up has affected SOME insurance companies/agents but not all.  So basically it is a software problem in that there is no slot to put a foreigners ID such as passport number or tax number.  This has not been resolved yet.

So, foreigners have 2 choices;

1. Contact Koray Atak of Atack Services (ataktranslationatgmaildotcom) who will sort you out  ;)

1. If you want to do it yourself get a 1 year residency (£50 approx), then your kimlik number and away you go.

Offline Denise40

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 17:14:42 PM »
Well I'm total perplexed! we got car insurance in May without residency - without TC number - accepted using passport and tax number - however we couldn't renew our previous policy because of the new (April) link up with Traffic Police and Insurance companies because the previous policy was lacking details that hadn't been uploaded and not previously required.

Joy oh joy!!

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »
Do you think that perhaps there is confusion between registering your address and applying for residency? If you are asking to insure a car it seems reasonable to be asked for proof of an address and obtaining an accommodation certificate in case of an accident.The number given at the Nufus office is proof you have registered your address.  
The accommodation certificate (KONUTTA LANLARAAIT KIMLIK BILDIRME BELGESI FORM 5) simply is that, not residency.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 08:40:27 AM by Daffodil »

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 16:52:59 PM »
Hi,
Just sold our second-hand car to a foreign buyer who has no residency. The Notary said, no residency, no sell...so I asked them to check this; they called the Traffic Police, who confirmed foriegners do NOT need residency to buy a second-hand car, only a new one! So the sale has now gone through .:D
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

Spoke to Koray Atak today regarding this, yet again.  He reiterated that there has not been a change in the law that requires residence to either buy or sell a car, there has been a change in the requirements for recording such a sale.  As in the article above, the authorities in their infinate wisdom decided to ask for a persons kimlik number on the computer system, forgetting that foreigners can buy and sell but do not necessarily have a kimlik number.  The easiest way around this, according to them, was to tell everyone to get residency and then their kimlik number to make it easier for the authorities.  A similar cock up has affected SOME insurance companies/agents but not all.  So basically it is a software problem in that there is no slot to put a foreigners ID such as passport number or tax number.  This has not been resolved yet.

So, foreigners have 2 choices;

1. Contact Koray Atak of Atack Services (ataktranslationatgmaildotcom) who will sort you out  ;)

1. If you want to do it yourself get a 1 year residency (£50 approx), then your kimlik number and away you go.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2011, 22:45:38 PM »
well that clears that up then - nice one :D

Offline Eric

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Nice one indeed.  Give it a month 'though and someone else will be asking the same question and we will go through this all again ;): :):D[xx(]

Offline jacqki

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »
In fairness I think those of us who are doing this stuff for the first time need to clarify the up to date situation, as rules and regulations clearly change all the time in Turkey and it's not any help reading some of the older posts. But I'm sure that you 'old hands' could find us irritating when of course we are asking questions that have been on before.

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
Hi Jacqki,
All you need to remember, is if the Notary says no, just ask them to call the traffic Police in your area to confirm what the situation is. The rules should apply to all of Turkey - I have no idea if they do or don't and if they don't, why not. It never hurts to ask, not just take no for an answer. By the way, I'm not an old hand, its the first time we have sold a car.
Cheers  :)
quote:
Originally posted by jacqki

In fairness I think those of us who are doing this stuff for the first time need to clarify the up to date situation, as rules and regulations clearly change all the time in Turkey and it's not any help reading some of the older posts. But I'm sure that you 'old hands' could find us irritating when of course we are asking questions that have been on before.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »
Why does the rule differ between an old car and a new car?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:15:09 PM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf