Author Topic: An outsiders view.  (Read 4379 times)

Offline tony jenkins

An outsiders view.
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
My thoughts:

I joined the forum, as I am coming to Calis first 2 weeks of August, with 'her indoors' and another couple.
I wanted to glean as much info as I could regarding places to eat, drink, relax and have some fun.
The info supplied by so many people means that I wont be saying 'found a great place on last day'  I now know where the good places are.

I have also PMSL on reading a few posts (Lance's wedding for one) and enjoyed post by KKOB (one liners) Tinks, Highlander, Desmartinson, Stoop, Scunner, Toky, Julesp, Jaquie, Nicola and many many more, and of course Colwyn. Supercabby being tempted by a flight on a Sunday and being there the day after, and then hearing his reports since then (brilliant)
That is what the forum is all about.

What I dont need is a Knbhead (they are not all expats) posting such a negative review that he even complains about the £10 at the airport and then says he has been to Turkey 3 times!!! And then says that a forum member looks like someone who 'touched up his daughter'
What a pig of a man.

I did not learn anything from his post, and that is why his comments are not wanted.

Rant over.  I look forward to meeting some of you and 'having a beer' in August

Kind Regards

Tony

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
An outsiders view.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
An interesting subject Tony (glad I made it into the enjoyable posters list or I would have deleted it) - my thoughts on our first impression or "outsider's view" as you call it is quite complex. In building a community (which was my aim from day 1, not to build a forum), I think we walk the same tightrope as many similar sites do - that newcomers see the familiarity as a clique that they will never become part of - indeed when dummies are spat, that is the very accusation that often comes. I don't believe it to be true, anyone can join our gang, and relatively quickly - they just need to see that many members know each other in "real life" very well, and have done for years. There is no exclusive club here, you just throw yourself in and you're part of it  :)

The other side of CBF is that it isn't a clinical, fact based facility - if you want to know how to get to Saklikent we'll tell you, but if you can't spell it correctly we'll soon move aim to that :D - and that is part of the charm that is rarely seen elsewhere.

People who come to slate Calis know what they are entering into, much the same as wearing a Gerry Adams T shirt in a Loyalist pub! They come for a scuffle, they get one, they complain about being turned on by the clique. Sailor V.  8)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
An outsiders view.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
Great post, great reply.

Glad I was part of the positive input Tony, even if you did want me to take my cab over when I go lol.

Offline tony jenkins

An outsiders view.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:46:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

Great post, great reply.

Glad I was part of the positive input Tony, even if you did want me to take my cab over when I go lol.

Thanks Both.

You got to admit, the Cab would have been handy  :)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
An outsiders view.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »
ok you can come in now:D but there is an inisiation ceremony :-\

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
An outsiders view.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »
I'd be interested to hear what Mark (Supercabby) thought of his arrival at CBF, he only joined this year (2011) but I would say quickly became part of the gang?

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
An outsiders view.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 13:00:41 PM »
Great posts,
Don't worry about the cabs theres pleanty.
I was an avid watcher rather than poster as I too thought that these forums are cliquey (Spelling?).
Once you get to understand peoples personalities a bit I found it fine. I like to take the mick like a good number on here and so long as you can take it as well as receive it it makes for good reading for others. Other forums can be too stuffy removing posts because theyre off topic etc, makes it too clinical and far less enjoyable.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
An outsiders view.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 13:02:16 PM »
I think the rule here is that once the question has been answered, you can go as off topic as you wish :D

Offline jrichards1

An outsiders view.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 13:20:55 PM »
Tony makes a good point of having a beer.

Is there a bar where members meet? ie ???? afternoons in ???? bar. If you are passing drop in.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
An outsiders view.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 13:56:01 PM »
We used to have a CBF meet every Wednesday at the Bus Stop. Strangely, as the membership of CBF increased, the numbers attending decreased. Funny old World!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf