Author Topic: Autumn Winter activities in Ovacik  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Sleuth

Autumn Winter activities in Ovacik
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:23:05 PM »
We are going to be living  in our apartment in Hisaronu  2012 on a permanent basis. We have visited our apartment in Hisaronu`new years week` for the past six years. The `new years week` 2010 was the quietist we can  ever remember with only one or two places open bars / restaurants. One or two people told us that there`s more going on up at Ovacik these days, particularly out of season. So can anyone tell me please as well as bars / restaurants etc, if there are any other activites during the in or out of season  time in Ovacik, Fethiye or Hisaronu , such as `walking groups`  `quiz nights`, Bridge clubs/ groups , or anything else that might be of interest to a friendly retired couple particularly out of season  :)

Offline Linda

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 13:11:47 PM »
As you have already experienced, winter is very different in Hisaronu and Ovacik and whilst I wasn't here last winter (I have been for the previous 4) I understand that it was quieter than ever! I think this is largely due to the lack of direct flights into Dalaman and it doesnt pay business' to be open just for residents and locals!
In Hisaronu you will find that some establishments such as Shanghai Blues open purely at weekends, which to be honest is a good option. In Ovacik there is considerably more open hence more choice.
Fethiye being a working town has plenty to offer, whilst in Olu Deniz there are only 1 or 2 business' open .. Kumsal Pide being one that also has a bowling alley attached, which is also open all year ... great for rainy days!
There are a number of local places open in Kaya as well as the kebab restaurants such as Oba and Cin Bal. Even places like Izela open for 3 nights a week .. so plenty of choice there ..
Quiz nights are definately a good option ... Fez is very popular on a Thursday night all through the winter .. a good scoal activity that also means you get to use your brain!
Yes there are walking groups ... Hash House Harriers being one and many people simply choose to walk with friends ... down to Olu, to Kaya etc. So much to explore and much more enjoyable than in the summer heat!!
Turkish lessons are also held at what was the old school in Ovacik. Two mornings a week for 2 hours ... I would highly recommend this as it's a great way of making new friends as well as getting a much needed handle on the language ..
Life is what you make it in the winter, it won't come to you so it does take a little effort on your part ..
I tend to shop more regularly and visit Fethiye more in winter. Everything is more leisurely and you make the most of the good weather when you get it .....
I love the winter, the fires and cosy laid back atmosphere of the bars and restaurants, where everyone has more time to chat whilst we await the season and summer heat to kick in all over again ...  8)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 15:33:55 PM by Linda »

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 13:26:51 PM »
Some great ideas there Linda, thanks for the input. I am going to add "how about doing some voluntary work for 1 of the great local charities"? I think this also a good idea to make new friends & keep occupied through the winter, I'm going to do 1 or 2 days for Animal Aid once I've settled in October, my 1st winter in Calis/Fethiye is going to be great fun & I'm sure I wont get bored 1 bit!

Offline Sleuth

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 17:26:03 PM »
Thanks for the info Linda and advice  :)

Offline milliemars

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 02:03:13 AM »
And if you fancy some excerise why not join the Telmessos Linsdeancers at Evita om a Wednesday afternoon a group of people of a certain age enjoying dancing and making friends.

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 05:45:21 AM »
Im almost tempted myself!!! (Jackie, dont you ever get to bed before midnight!!!! :)))))))))))

Offline milliemars

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:11:49 AM »
Not when I am in the Sea Breeze getting away fromm Erol is a not an easy thing to do.lol x x

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf