Author Topic: Driving on a UK Driving Licence  (Read 6988 times)

Offline starman™

Driving on a UK Driving Licence
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 06:45:04 AM »
I renewed my license last year from my mother in laws address in Newcastle. No problems what so ever. I know quite a few people still using the paper license which actually doesnt expire untill they are 70.

Offline BM06

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2011, 10:16:13 AM »

I am in know way agreeing with the said article but you have been here long enough now Eric to know that its not a problem until something goes pear shaped ;) could be interesting :)

[/quote]Eric, this is a passage from my first post on this topic, in my second I posted from the official DVLA site which directs you to the AA/RAC sites(see sections I,L as regards to Turkey) wich I would assume to be more factul than an email from a friend! and as you can see from Starmans last post :o ;) what he is doing is actually illegal in the UK! so I just can not see it being legal in Turkey? as I said before its all ok in Turkey until something goes pear shaped, then the ++++ hits fan ;)

Offline BM06

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »
Opps! thats rather big sorry boss don't know what happened there :-\ ;)

Offline starman™

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
Guess you hit the return or space bar a few too many times.

What is illegal about applying for a renewed license from a UK address? I believe several million people do it every 10 years. What about the people that still have the old paper licenses as from what I understand, there is no law to state that you have to get a photo license if you already have a paper license and my paper license is good till 2040 by which time I hope to be driving a flying sedgeway with a decent cup older for my beverages. Would I need a Turkish license for that I wonder?
Anyway I dont see myself being here permanently otherwise I would have gotten Turkish citizenship (which I will never apply for but thats a different subject) and according to the traffic police website which I see as more authority as a mouth piece then the RAC or AA or ageantimes, anyone staying here temporary does NOT need to get a license.

Offline BM06

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »
Well to answer your 1st Q you do not live at your mother in _laws address in Newcastle permanently, you live in Turkey? thats an offence under UK law, so its illegal, you also said you renewed your licence last year? at that address? you would have been issued with a photo licence they no longer issue paper licences, you are quite correct there is no laws regarding changing the old paper licence to a photo one, but any change of details/offences you will be issued with a photo licence, this seems to be going slightly off topic so I will leave it there, good luck.

Offline starman™

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »
not illegal if I spend more than 90 days per year in the UK.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf