Author Topic: S G K Health Insurance FIASCO - Urgent  (Read 36770 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
S G K Health Insurance FIASCO - Urgent
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2011, 16:00:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by shutterbug

this is the most complicated site I have ever visited!

Maybe if your proposal is for everyone to pull together, it might be an idea to lead by example and not criticise the places that you are calling on for help. Over 20,000 different people use this site quite easily every month and in 8 years, not one has made an attempted reply to one topic but replied in a completely different topic entirely. Until you, today.

You will find great support from the members here for the cause, it would be decent etiquette to at least try not to blame the tools. Thanks.

Ok said my piece, I'll butt out as the topic is of no relevance to me  ;)

Offline vinvola

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 14:12:40 PM »
It seems that the threat of having to pull together has deterred anyone else from commenting on this thread.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2011, 14:30:14 PM »
I have heard today that if anyone has problems with clerks at SGK offices, over Bag Kur, they should mention Act 5510.

People paying into Bag Kur will not be allowed to get the UK pension AND the Bag Kur Pension.  SO they wont get the Bag Kur pension.  If you already have Bag Kur, you can remain on it.  If you want health insurance and haven't already arranged it, you will have to go on the normal health scheme, which used to be called UHI.  A couple will be required to have 2 separate premiums.  It appears that we do not have to provide proof that we have a pension from the UK (!).  I am paraphrasing this message from one sent to me privately.  This info as a result of face to face discussions with the head of the SGK in Ortaca and phone conversation with "the main man in Mugla".

So, that's it for now.  I feel relieved but uneasy.  I have lost faith in any pronouncement because too many things have changed over this, but maybe we are actually getting to the sharp end of this stick.

Offline shutterbug

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2011, 16:25:26 PM »
Ok. First of all, I'm sorry that I am so dumb that my first post went to another conversation and the second disappeared altogether. Finally I did something right and the third got posted. OK Scunner? My stupidity as you so clearly pointed out. Not criticism of the site.
Now to the point of the exercise.
My income from the UK is so low that I am not subject to tax. That is no premium for NHS. If I lived there I would be in reciept of housing benefit, top up of Gov't pension and disability. I am about to be 75 so other things would have applied but I hear that reduced TV lic has been revoked. I prefer to live on my income, not on benefits. And fyi, I have worked as a full time teacher plus extra tuition and community work for 30 years. Marriage,divorce, unscrupulus business partners and the a recession, wiped out all of that. All I have I have earned on my own since 1990. Working two jobs of course.
I understood that I was open to lack of treatment for some things if they were too expensive here. Balanced against the risk of the doctors in the UK who dont' want to spend money on the elderly, it was a toss up. Here I have a life. There I live in a box I couldn't afford to heat in a climate that leaves me in constant pain because of the cold and damp. So yes, I was willing to take the risk. HOWEVER, that is not the issue. The issue is, it was given and then taken away without legitimate reason so far as I can see.

I was happily paying my 205tl for SGK. I pay for residence, and I expect to remain here permanently. Why this insurance should be suddenly cancelled makes no sense to me. A Turkish citizen my age would not pay. No problem. I am happy to pay. But do not try to tell me that I am paying for anything in the UK, or would be.
As I understand it, Bag Kur has nothing to do with the health insurance we were offered. I do not get an OAP in Turkey and do not expect to. All I want to do is pay the premium and get the health insurance. I live alone, am not married, and only interested in the health care.As long as Turkey doesn't join the EU, I can manage pretty well on my income.  
Are you saying that this is still available? No one ever asked me if I had a pension from the UK, only if I was entitled to health care...which I am not.
Do I need to go to Mugla? who do I need to see? I will apply for permanent residence in a month or so, but that takes a long time and my Turkish is bir az. That would change everything, but in the meantime.... thanks for your input Rindaloo and Vinvola. Perhaps the lack of enthusiasm for organisation Vinvola reflects those who keep addresses in the UK and do go back to keep their NHS in force. New passports will sabatoge that plan I think. ;-) BTW check your passport. If it isn't fairly new, it doesn't have the little gold wire running aroung one page with a microchip at the bottom. The next one will though. That alerts the UK gov't of your comings and goings and I have heard, the NHS as well. Ah yes, Big Brother is watching you. Take care.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2011, 16:38:59 PM »
I think you have been watching too much of Spooks ;) The current biometric passports do not hold massive amounts of information on the chip - only the same details as are on the photo page of your passport. You can even go to your nearest passport office and have the chip read in front of you to show you what is on it.

Biometric 2 has been scrapped. This would have run along side the identity card which has also been scrapped by the Tories.

"How the biometric passport is used:

The chip containing the biometric and personal details has an antenna that means it can be read electronically. Biometric checks can be used at border controls, especially at 'ePassport gates' (automated passport control gates). They can also be used by the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) to check the image on passport renewal applications against images held on record."

The chip inside the passport contains information about the holder's face - such as the distances between eyes, nose, mouth and ears. These details are taken from the passport photograph that you supply. They can then be used to identify the passport-holder. The chip also holds the information that is printed on the personal details page of your passport.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174159

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 16:41:05 PM by stoop »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 16:50:38 PM »
Sorry - that was off topic! I'll butt out now and let those who it affects continue the discussion  :)

Offline March girl

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 18:24:34 PM »
I have contacted David Reddaway at the British Embassy in Ankara, David Cameron, William Hague & the health secretary on this problem with health insurance as UHI is still on hold as far as I know. So yes everyone should lobby the government in uk on this.

Offline shutterbug

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2011, 20:55:57 PM »
Ok, that's good. What about Ankara?

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 09:44:31 AM »
Here's the email we have all been waiting for.  My friend Lynda has had many conversations with him.  He has been a huge help.  When William says Mr and Mrs is on  pension he means retired.  William has "been a star" in all his efforts to clarify things for us.  Can I please suggest we all email him to thank him for his attention to our problems and his sensitivity to our concerns..... PM me for his email address  8)

Hello Lynda,

Yes very good news, Birsen DURSUN, the SGK Director confirmed what their Director General told me.  All Health Insurances will continue, so please let all know that they can go and pay their fee.  It will not matter whether the person is on pension, only they will have to apply to the :

Department of Health

Richmond House

79 Whitehall

London SW1A 2NS

Phone: 0044 207 210 4850 (Office opening hours 08:30-17:30 Mon-Fri)

Textphone: 0044 207 210 5025 (for people with impaired hearing)

Fax: 0044 207 210 5952

To obtain a letter stating that even that Mr/Mrs .................... is on pension, because they have been a resident in Turkey for over six months they have lost their right to use NHS health service in the UK.  Within one month this letter (not an e-mail or fax) should be handed in to the local SGK Directorate.  

I phoned the Department of Health in the UK and explained the situation to a gentleman, he told me that members of the community in Turkey should go to their web page and put in a written application requesting such letter and within twenty days they should give them the necessary reply (only make sure to state that the Turkish authorities wants this information in writing on an letter headed paper).

Kind regards,

Willy Buttigieg

A. Willy Buttigieg MBE \ Consul \  British Consulate  \  Izmir

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:44:21 AM by Rindaloo »

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 10:05:40 AM »
That is good news - well done

I will e-mail Willy to say thank you even though it does not affect me yet as we will always need friends like this  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf