Author Topic: People Returning from Abroad to Life in the UK  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
People Returning from Abroad to Life in the UK
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 23:19:08 PM »
Definitely so George - I'd advise anyone with a desire to live in Turkey to do it - it suits some and not others, and some for a time and others for life. It was great for us for a time then we decided to try yet another new place. The one big difference I think in Turkey is not the queueing, the not feeling like you belong, the missing people back home or indeed not knowing what everyone is saying because learning Turkish was just too tough  ;)

The one big difference I found was that you go from total obscurity locally to having your entire life being discussed, chewed over, deliberated upon and conclusions agreed. Often by complete strangers, often by people you thought were friends. I did think at one stage that it was me, perhaps because of the forum but it is not, anyone and everyone is fair game around the tables. You can't stop it, you can't put them right on anything and you can't keep you head down as what they don't know they make up.

One of the best things about NOT living there is that around here, nobody gives the slightest monkey's about who you are, might be or think you are, what time you got home or how much your house is or isn't worth.

Offline BM06

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 00:14:27 AM »
Daja vu Kieth, could not have put it any clearer my self, strange init. :o :)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 08:38:18 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ScunnerThe one big difference I found was that you go from total obscurity locally to having your entire life being discussed, chewed over, deliberated upon and conclusions agreed. Often by complete strangers, often by people you thought were friends. I did think at one stage that it was me, perhaps because of the forum but it is not, anyone and everyone is fair game around the tables. You can't stop it, you can't put them right on anything and you can't keep you head down as what they don't know they make up.

I couldn't agree more Keith, been here just over 2 months & I've heard several versions of who I am & why I'm here! Yes, I have posted about my experience on CBF but this was from people who have no knowledge of the forum! The Calis Chinese Whispers are very strong, just be broad shouldered & ignore the bar gossip then you'll be fine.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

The one big difference I found was that you go from total obscurity locally to having your entire life being discussed, chewed over, deliberated upon and conclusions agreed. Often by complete strangers, often by people you thought were friends.

One of the best things about NOT living there is that around here, nobody gives the slightest monkey's about who you are, might be or think you are, what time you got home or how much your house is or isn't worth.

Totally aware of this Keith and have had some personal experience with people who just have too much time on their hands over there. A forum member who shall remain nameless (sorry if there is anyone called nameless) gave me what I now regard as a valuable piece of advice and told me that when you move over, keep your circle of friends small and close. I have lived in our house in the UK for more than 20 years and we get by very happily on a handful of close friends, I'm sure we don't need 100 'friends' when we move to Calis?

The house value gossip should not be a problem, as you know, our house is worth less than most in Calis, but we love it and that is all that matters.

Like Supercabby, I will keep all on the forum updated on our experience and hope that we can discover great benefits and point out pitfalls. Personal experience and of course the forum means that we already recognise many of the challenges we will face, not least the transition we will have to make from being on holiday in Calis to being resident there, I imagine that is a world of difference and if anyone spots me at 10.00am in a bar on the font having an effes, then you can be assured that I have failed !!    

But once again a really good topic for us and as they say, to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
Well one thing I learned while out there is that you can't change it - how can you educate people who know it all already!

Offline janmack

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:41:42 AM »
I think it's easy to get drawn in to things when you 1st move to any place due to the excitement of starting a new life and the desire to keep an open mind and not be judgemental.

It may take a few weeks/months/years but you do eventually realise that some of these folk are the type you previously avoided at all costs (gossips, troublemakers, know it all moaners etc), so you just start to keep your distance from them and the places they hang out.

I believe there are more decent people here who just want to get on with their lives than people who have nothing good to say about anyone, however sometimes it's hard to ignore them:(

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 14:11:00 PM »
There are definitely more decent people there who just want to get on - aside from the gossips, freeloaders, weirdos, and two faced people, I met some of the best people in my life in Fethiye. This is the thing that needs to be seen in proportion because it can appear far different to the actual case. It may seem that it is most people and this is for two reasons - firstly that the ones that are plunging the knife into anyone and everyone make the most noise, and secondly that many of the good folk you just don't see around much!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf