Author Topic: Import Duty  (Read 1696 times)

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
Import Duty
« on: June 01, 2012, 13:24:37 PM »
Hi, name's Moya and this is my first post.  Does anyone have a clue whether art books/instructional dvd's/painting material incur import duties?  I've ordered all the above from a UK Artists
Association - total value less than £200.  Got them to chase up their carrier and now discover it's held in Istanbul Customs.  Any advice on how to proceed would be gratefully welcomed.

Offline screamlead

Import Duty
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 14:25:15 PM »
Parcel may well end up being sent to Fethiye main PTT they should then get in touch if any 'duty' or 'fines' are applicable. Think normal allowance is something like 100TL in value unless bayram or ramadam then its something like 300TL. KKOB may be along he knows about this stuff.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Import Duty
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 14:56:07 PM »
Artist's materials coming into Turkey seem to be dutiable at one of the highest levels. Mrs KKOB, the artist in our family, used to bring her materials over in her luggage or via friends, and never imported via carriers or the postal service.

If the package is being held in Istanbul I don't think it'll be forwarded to Fethiye Customs until they've had payment of the duty from you or the carrier. Even if it's forwarded to Fethiye, don't expect them to make any effort to contact you. You'll have to go to them with as much detail as possible regarding consignor, consignee, carrier, consignment note number etc. If it was sent via the postal service you'll need to go to the PTT offices above the Otogar. If it was sent by a carrier, you'll have to go to their local office or agent. Either way you'll end-up at the Customs Offices by the harbour for a release note and then you'll have to go back to wherever the parcel's being held.  Allow yourself at least a few hours to be to-ing and fro-ing and be prepared to pay "admin fees".

Find out from the carrier how much duty the Turkish Customs in Istanbul are asking you to pay and then weigh-up whether it's worth paying it, or writing the goods off.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 15:03:49 PM by KKOB »

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
Import Duty
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 15:26:27 PM »
Thank you so much for your detailed reply.  Looks like first port of call is TNT (via Society for All Artists - from whom the stuff was ordered).
I'll let you know in due course how I got on......many thanks again for your advice.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Import Duty
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 15:38:20 PM »
How mean is that, putting the highest duty on something like artist's supplies :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf