Author Topic: Hidden Rock Tomb in Fethiye..?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Hidden Rock Tomb in Fethiye..?
« on: January 30, 2013, 22:27:41 PM »
I know a few "usual suspects" in Fethiye apparently offer to give a guided tour of the rock tombs (which is not necessary and also they probably know no more than you do about them  :) ) - but on more than one occasion I have heard that people were offered an exciting opportunity to visit a rock tomb that can't be seen from the road - I assume it is over the brow of the cliff (do cliffs have brows?).

Apparently unless your cliff climbing skills are up to scratch you are going to need to follow your "guide" to a secret path that follows a slighly less vertical route.

Now I know these guys are basically conmen. But does anyone know if there actually is a tomb (or anything else of interest) up there?

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Re: Hidden Rock Tomb in Fethiye..?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 22:31:46 PM »
I did hear Manzara started to build one but it was never completed

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 22:32:59 PM »
It was actually, it was an ideal project for them as it didn't need living permission due to the inhabitant being dead.

Offline Fran

Hidden Rock Tomb in Fethiye..?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »
I climbed up there last week, cost 5lira. There are steps up to the main tomb, but I can't see that you could go any further. There are also signs warning you not to climb the rocks. If there is another tomb i wouldn't want to risk climbing any further to find it. The inside of the tomb is covered in graffiti such a shame.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 15:29:45 PM »
There are several tombs in the hills behind the Fethiye Rock Tombs. Nowhere near as spectacular and some are just unfinished recesses in the rock. There're also a few in the hills on the forest road between Karagozler and Kaya and on the headland heading out towards Af Kule.

There're a couple of secret tombs at the base of the hill behind our house in Kaya that can only be reached during the Spring and Summer when there's no flooding. Both of them have room enough for at least 4 bodies. Our official address is Tastandam Mevkii which roughly translates as Cemetery Place.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf