Author Topic: house martins nesting  (Read 6080 times)

Offline karenr

« on: May 13, 2013, 19:30:35 PM »
Hi,
we are being overwhelmed by Housemartins nesting on our complex in Ovicik. Its at its worst this year and will look like a scene out of Alfred Hitchcock 's..The Birds next year. Ive googled them and they definately look and  behave like housemartins. They are busy building nests and are making it almost impossible to use the balconies due to the mess.

Im talking 5 or 6 nests  in each corner so about 20 nests if not slightly more.
I have put Cds dangled on string to try and discourage them on our balcony. They fly in when your sitting down trying to get to the corners and ceilling . Our balcony is only small so they are literally feet away from us.

Does anyone know how we can prevent them building.......obviously once the nest is built we will leave well alone until it is empty......but I want to discourage them from the balcony.

I have been told that Turkish people will not remove the nests due to superstiscion.

Any help would be appreciated..................I notice that there natural predator appears to be a larger bird that I have been told is called a Jay. Could anyone confirm that for me too please.
Many thanks

Offline tiggsy

• Newly Registered
Re: house martins nesting
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 20:06:19 PM »
Look on the bright side, they eat mozzies.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 20:21:13 PM »
When you see a nest being built you get a hose and wash it away, after a few attempts they will go elsewhere (probably your neighbours).  We had trouble with them too and a local Farmer gave us this advice which does work as they take a while to build to it's easy to get the hose out and deter them.

Offline karenr

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 20:27:41 PM »
Jacqui..we have done that whilst we were out last week but its when we return t the UK. I need a solution for when we are not there. Im too high for anyone else to hose it down for us................thanks for replying though    :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 22:54:15 PM »
Hi Karenr,
There is a gel you can get and apply to the wall, birds feel uncomfortable landing on it and will fly away.
We got my daughter some a few years ago when she lived in a flat and was troubled with pigeons on the window sills.  However, not sure if it will stick on a wall.  I think we have some outside, will check if it's there and tell you the name on it and I will read the instructions.  Perhaps they sell it in Turkey... Will post again tomorrow.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 23:33:53 PM »
We experienced this 'problem' last year when we stayed at the Mutlu. They had something like a hollow in the wall above the balcony which looked like it may have housed electrical things but was now empty. The birds had used that as a starting area for their nests.

To be honest, we really quite liked those little fellas sharing our balcony  :)

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:52:08 AM »
Not got this nesting problem here but do agree with Scunner, it is quite nice watching flocks of them flying around in Uzumlu, going from villa to villa and skimming the pool water.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »
In the UK when the house martins arrive its like the summer arriving. We love to see them. Yes they do make a bit of a mess but we get a lot of enjoyment from watching them.  They are yet to arrive this year but it cant be long.  You can buy small devices that go into the alcoves to stop them nesting for between £10-£30 here in the UK but we dont bother.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »
We had our house painted last week and we have a nest with chicks in, the painter agreed to keep away from the nest then come back in a few weeks when they have flown remove the nest and paint that bit. Looks like all the wall will neeed cleaning and painting, but they are great to watch.

Offline Brianbern

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
Poor wee house martins - they're lovely to watch they're protected in the UK & it's only for a short while. It's lovely to see the wee ones fly the nest for the first time! Maria

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf