Author Topic: Dongle Users  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Dongle Users
« on: July 02, 2013, 18:15:45 PM »
For those who use a dongle in Turkey - Connectify are offering a good discount.
This is the best programme for converting your laptop/PC into a Wi-Fi hotspot.

For those who don't like jargon - with my dongle today - I was listening to Talksport on my iPod touch - plugged into a docking station - whilst Gill was sending an e-mail on our netbook - whilst I was scanning CBF on my cheap android tablet - all from the one dongle.

It was "free" a few years ago but then they started charging for dongle users and although you will find other "free" programmes advertising they can do the same thing - they can't with a Turkcell dongle - only this software works flawlessly for me.

I bought it last week with a 50% discount so it cost me £16 - for a lifetime licence - that deal is over and they now have a 40% discount so it is $24 - which is not much more.

See this link:

http://www.connectify.me/july-4th-sale-40-off-hotspot-pro-dispatch-lifetime/

Ian :D

Ps remember you have to download it to the "device" that is used by you in Turkey - the current base station - don't download it to a UK based machine as I do not think you can download it more than once.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 19:30:22 PM by Ian »

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Dongle Users
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 19:32:05 PM »
I downloaded this in May on your recommendation last year I think Ian. Cost me £32 but It turned my laptop into a wifi hotspot and the kids connected in with their phones & ipads. We had 4 devices running at one point.
Well worth it in my opinion. I looked at alternatives but it looked like I would be plagued with adverts. Dead easy to download and set up.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 19:43:28 PM »
When we have visitors who can't live without Wi-Fi it works very well and also radio doesn't use too much bandwidth so I like a couple of hours of UK radio most days without losing CBF / e-mail access myself ;D

Offline Partygirl

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 00:24:23 AM »
So, Do I need a separate lap top to use this in Turkey?

Offline grahamturner09

Dongle Users
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
Yes I think you do the laptop works as a wifi hub

Offline pauline

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »
Thanks for the tiip and info Ian.  Will certainly have a look at this on my next visit.

Great

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
I use MiFI dongle and it can connect upto 5.  now back in the UK I can use it travelling on 3Network £20 for 3 months.  no USB ports just a small gadget that fits in to your palm, charges via mains or usb
http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/telephones_broadband_and_mobiles/mobile_internet_access_50660.0.html

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 14:51:11 PM »
Thumbs up for the  MiFi

The portability and battery power means you can stick it in your pocket and let your smartphone do it's normal data thing.  It was brilliant when we were in Istanbul also having full browser access / google maps etc. as we strolled around (before the riots started !)

No laptops needed to plug a dongle into

Top tip Loz !

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 15:48:40 PM »
Bear in mind - Connectify works with non mifi dongles  - if you have one of these you either "trade up" to mifi or pay £16 ish  - as a one off payment - to have 4 or 5 devices working from one dongle    ;)

Offline Somerset Simon

Dongle Users
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 15:48:53 PM »
I bought an unlocked Huawei 3 MIFI on eBay for £40, it works in the UK with 3 month data sims from eBay (£11) and also in turkey with a turkcell sim, which you can use 4 gb in a month for 39 lira. Carry anywhere and free data and phone calls on tap.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf