Author Topic: Moving to Calis  (Read 5976 times)

Offline LeeGlo

Re: Moving to Calis
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 17:52:01 PM »
Wonderful how contradictory estate agents advice can be, when we were looking to buy we were told "don't buy behind the new hospital (Develet) in Calis, it's built on swamp and floods", now it appears them thar floods have moved to Koca Calis. One thing is constant Ovacik / Hisaranou are very quiet in the winter and the main road frequently gets washed away.

We ended up buying in Tasyaka, OK but not what we really wanted, we now live in Calis, just off Baris Manco Bulvari and are very happy. Loads of villas near to us for sale, close enough to walk to the seafront, Gunlukbasi / Fethiye just a bus ride away for shopping etc.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 18:35:39 PM »
Wonderful how contradictory estate agents advice can be

What you need to appreciate is the power and influence agents have over their clients. If you viewed with me and trusted me, and I didn't want you to buy the property you like, I could tell you we found a problem with the deed. And you would believe me.

I would never do that but I assure you plenty will direct you to the property they want to sell, not necessarily the property you want to buy. My philosophy was quite different, I used to tell staff 'I don't care which one you sell, just sell'  ;)

Offline 160606

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 18:41:08 PM »
Have to agree with LeeGlo we have been visiting Calis for 11 years now and this year bought on Serinkent off Baris Mancho Vulvari.  In all that time we have never seen any flooding at all at our friends property.  We now live directly across the garden from them and love the position of where we are, we have holiday mood if we want and a 10 minute walk to the front or sample more the real Turkey and walk for 5 minutes to Gunlukbasi.  We also get the bus at the bottom of the garden.  Almost perfect if you ask me, plenty in the winter and just enough away from the crowds in the summer. Roll on the time we can live there permanently.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 18:45:53 PM »
I read that as 'can get a bus to the bottom of the garden'. How lazy are you Serinkent people!!!

My ideal area is from water taxi to Anna Hotel, up to Sunday Market, along to Aydin Pide Roundabout and back to water taxi. But then like every other answer, I believe where I lived was the best area  ;)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 21:23:54 PM »
Having stayed in the Golden Moon apartments more than once, I can say that area is absolutely perfect, ten mins. flat walk to the front, 4 mins to market and just a short stroll to local pubs, restaurants etc.  If I was buying that area would be ideal, wish I was there now :(

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 00:37:04 AM »
Rental is not worth the time or effort in my opinion.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
After all the problems some people on this forum have had with purchasing properties and getting their paper work sorted, I think there is a great deal to be said for renting before you take the step to buy.  It is easy to jump in and get it wrong when you have a two week deadline to find a property.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
Agree with Echogirl, it may be better to rent and look around for a while before you buy. However, we came over for one week to Fethiye, looked at property for one day and bought the next day....We have never regretted it, but I suppose we were very lucky.  Me and my husband are the same, we make instant decisions, we never stop and think we just do it, but people are all different, some like to spend a long time and do a lot of thinking.  ;D

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
As someone who is planning the move in around eight months...... originally we said we would buy but have now decided to rent for exactly the reasons given by Echogirl.

If we bought, we'd have to decide pretty much instantly where we want to buy and do it quickly. We have neither the time nor funds for numerous viewing trips and, although there are several areas under consideration, we want to see what they're like in different seasons etc.

For this reason, it will be a long-term let for us to start with...it also means we're there for the whole buying process rather than trying to do it at a distance.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 16:35:25 PM »
Very sensible approach Wordbird, unfortunately we did it the other way around, bought and now renting.

I rather think Savoyboy's comment though refers to renting out your own property for an income as opposed to renting somewhere to live.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf