Author Topic: Help with hand luggage  (Read 8106 times)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
Re: Help with hand luggage
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 19:09:00 PM »
The problem we have flying from Luton, is that Monarch allow 2 pieces of hand luggage, as long as they are within the weight ratio, BUT Luton airport has a policy of only 1 piece of hand luggage weighing less than 10kgs. and within their size guidances, so you're stuffed anyway !!

Offline Menthol

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 19:46:00 PM »
Never had my hand luggage weighed on any airline. But TCook are particularly stingy with their 5kg allowance.

Still Bernie, better than my sons who went to Olu Deniz 2 years ago along with 2 friends, not one of them had thought to book in any suitcases. They found this out about 3 hours before they set off for the airport. We spent the next 3 hours looking for the lightest possible bags and somehow fitting in all their stuff for a weeks holiday. Thank god they were lads - would have been impossible with females!

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 19:59:03 PM »
I,m going to have to give it a go. Monarch Jaqui,you get 10 and 23kg.
I am hoping if I say it's a permanent move they will be a bit more lenient.
Thanks guys

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 20:01:40 PM »
 AISHA if this goes tits up your next to me in the queue and might be carrying an extra case  : :)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 20:06:01 PM »
Okay Bernie, whatever you say, Bernie.  ???

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 08:12:51 AM »
On my recent trip back to UK with Thomas Cook I went back with hand luggage only, and carefully kept it down to 5 kgs, that was 2 changes of clothes to last me a fortnight ! At Dalaman they didn't even look at my hand lugggage. 2 weeks later checking in at Gatwick with a 20 kg suitcase and this time I had gone way over in my hand luggage because I didn't expect them to check the first thing he did was ask for my hand luggage on the scales. He also told me that my small handbag had to be included in the weight. It was very embarrassing, I stood there stuffing as much as I could into my pockets, it still wasn't down to the 5 kg, and although my case had been dead on at 20 kg he told me he would allow me to get 1 more kilo in my suitcase which was full to bursting. I spent an embarrassing few minutes trying to stuff things into the front pocket of the suitcase, and eventually he let me off with about half a kilo over. I was hot, sweaty, and extremely red when I'd finished !!

Offline Somerset Simon

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
We flew back to gatwick from DLM with TC a couple weeks ago and they were weighing all hand luggage. Lots of pocket filling whilst in the queue and were allowed through with 14 kg between the 2 of us by saying there was a laptop in each bag.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
A few years ago an elderly couple in front of us had suitcases which where both 20 kilos and hand luggage at 7 kilos each.  They where told it would be £14.00 for each over the limit kilos in each bag  £56.00.  A row started and the couple would not move.  It held the queue up for 20 minutes eventually they where taken out of the queue and off somewhere to pay the excess.
So, please weigh you bags before you leave for the airport, scales available in lots of shops for as little as £2.00. It's a boring experience standing in queues at airports, but it can double the standing time and leave people behind you in the queue angry and frustrated, when people don't check how much they have in their luggage and start opening suitcases and putting things in their pockets, or worst still arguing with staff.   >:(

Offline suehugh

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »
On our last trip in December, we took great pains in packing two suitcases with as much household stuff as possible. Our hand luggage was bang on 5kgs each.
We were well annoyed when we found whew were 5kgs underweight on our main bags. Tools, hammers, bedding left behind. Oh and Sue mentioned shoes
So , your right jaquie. We will invest in a decent weigh scale and use it.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
The meanest one we had was an Easyjet flight from Dalaman, we were 2kg total over on our 4x 20kg hold allowance (AKA 500g each) and were taken away to pay £18.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf