Author Topic: My daily hit. Beautiful January day!  (Read 5177 times)

Offline PKHUGHES100

Re: My daily hit. Beautiful January day!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »
These pictures are just the tonic I need as I live in Snowdonia in North wales and it just rains and rains so we are looking forward to our next trip out to our apartment, only 5 weeks to go. Keep the pictures coming  8)

Offline Menthol

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »
The glorious sunny weather that Lotty captured down at Olu Deniz on the web cams was a really pleasant surprise for us.

I remember a couple of days of sunshine where it was actually uncomfortable to sit in it, it was burning through my jeans! But the contrast between moving from sunny spot to shade is quite marked in the winter. Hot in one and really quite chilly in the other.

I do know that the locals have said it hasn't been a 'normal winter' - nowhere near enough rain but we witnessed many a good storm the first week we there mid January.

The problems of cold are very much down to how well your house is insulated and of course its location. The hotel we stayed in in Calis for the first week felt bitterly cold at night despite having a full house of guests and a central heating system available (we all complained to no avail). So we were really nervous about moving into our house halfway up the mountain in Ovacik the following week!

However, because the house has some decent insulation, it was warmed quite easily with the air con turned on heat mode.

The point of this laborious post (sorry) is really to say - go to the Fethiye region in winter - it really is quite beautiful in a very different way to the in season months. However, expect mixed weather and check your accommodation will be warm enough.

For me, visiting a deserted Olu Deniz was worth any cold rain. And a couple of the front line cafes stay open to serve hot drinks and Efes.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 15:31:14 PM »
In the not too distant past when we stayed in Fethiye (Karagozler) for a few weeks, in early April-May or towards the end of October-November, sometimes the apartment was really cold, it never got the sun there. So we would take ourselves off for a cozy, soporific dolmus ride to Olu Deniz. It was quite amazing the difference in temperature on that promenade. There used to be deck chairs by a shack bar with lovely sleepy jazzy music playing (like zero seven). It really was heavenly for a few hours just reading our books and sipping nice cold Efes with the warm sun over us. Ahhhh sigh, it was just perfect. Then we'd go home tired but happy (and warm) to our still very cold apartment!☺️

Offline Menthol

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 17:33:54 PM »
That sounds lovely, Lotty.   :)

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Today for the first time in ages its dry, yippee!! The fields are still sodden, fences are down everywhere, but when I look at Lotty's pics.it actually makes me feel better, and gives me something to look forward to.  I can just imagine strolling along the prom. in the warm sunshine.  Thank you Lotty I needed cheering up xx

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 11:17:07 AM »
The winter this year has defo not been the norm which is good for all the poor people that had their villas/ apartments flooded out a couple of years back...The weather was really bad and was non stop rain...If my memory serves me right some of the newish bridge (by Nevada Su)was washed away and I think some television crew or something went to film it and a few people ended up in the river and there was one lady in the river still holding up her umbrella which I found hilarious it is probably on CBF somewhere....
I remember going in February once and never again, I have never seen rain like it and it rained for the whole week bar one day but it did me a favour to see Turkey with weather like that as I suppose I had kind of thought the weather in February would be kind of like a spring day in the UK which I know it can be... I was quite tempted to book for next week as is half term but thought back to that time and decided to stay here and do some d.i.y and decorating...

Offline Menthol

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 13:07:25 PM »
But then a friend in Fethiye has just posted on his Facebook that he has gotten sunburnt today cos he didn't think he'd need to apply sun tan lotion ......

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 13:28:28 PM »
Lucky him (not as in getting sunburn!) having good weather for this time of the year....Nothing will make me tempt February again as it was truly awful I spent most of my time putting a brave face on it all for the sake of my son who was with me but in reality I could not wish the week away fast enough, each to their own in life but to be honest I actually found it to be rather a depressing place without the sun, not because of the lack of people I quite like it when the tourists go home...
Having said that I completely do not like August as it is ridiculously hot and I just cant stand it, last August I said never again what I have done booked an August flight as it was dirt cheap with Easyjet, if I did not work in education May/ June and September/October would win hands down for me everytime 8) 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf