Author Topic: Mugla Ceilings  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Mugla Ceilings
« on: October 01, 2014, 17:53:12 PM »
You may know these very well. Or perhaps you don't look up often. I think they are great things: the traditional Mugla wooden ceilings. A story I like about these - who can tell which Turkish story is true - is that the central octagonal feature with a light within it represents the sun, there are rays of light coming from this and between these are the waves of the sea and glints of light reflected from the sea water. Hence Mugla province is portrayed in the ceilings as a land of sun and sea. There are also Ula ceilings that are rarer but I haven't a photo of one of those. Does anyone else?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Mugla Ceilings
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 18:09:32 PM »
How about this:

More information here:  Nail Çakırhan and Halet Çambel Culture and Art House

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 18:14:51 PM »
Hi John, I'm not sure about that one, although I've seen it several times, and that house of art and culture was where I bought my ebru. I'll check it out.

Yes, i think you are right. I remembered Ula ceilings lacked the sun rays and were more geometric. But the exhibition house has several octagons. Here is a more usual example of the Ula tradition.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 18:59:19 PM by Colwyn »

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 18:55:49 PM »
Colwyn, I wouldn't know an Ula from a Lula - it was the passage "The building, which is completely made by Çakırhan according to his famous Ula architecture with great care and skill, is particularly spectacular ceiling" that made me think the ceiling may be an Ula.

JF

Offline suehugh

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 17:31:19 PM »
We saw a wooden ceiling similar to the top one in this post at Yola Furniture in Fethiye last year. It was a little more elaborate and was in four sections . We thought it could be used as headboards for a bed, although we would have needed to extend the height of our house.
It was pointed out that the design meant something rather than it was a result of creative whim.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf