Author Topic: How much is enough  (Read 8001 times)

Offline kenny mclachlan

• Newly Registered
How much is enough
« on: October 27, 2014, 19:14:07 PM »
Would 150k to invest and£500 a month be enough to live on,pay rent,food and the usual expenses.

Offline thebillet

Re: How much is enough
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 19:43:49 PM »
Depends on your attitude to risk. If you convert your GBP to lira then the interest rate is respectable, but bear in mind there is a lot of inflation. Should you ever need to convert back to GBP you can in some circumstances face a loss. It is also worth noting the president wants to lower interest rates. If on the other hand you keep your 150 in GBP then the interest rates are a lot lower. Lots more on the site about costs, e.g. drinking, driving, eating out, keeping a pet, how many need to be funded by this etc. More recently additional costs have arisen such as health insurance but this again is hard to quantify as lots of people don't have it but many might be forced to buy it if they want to secure residency here. Hope this little info helps bit.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 20:43:15 PM »
£500 a month to survive, not live.

Offline busybee

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 05:28:02 AM »
If you did invest your £150,000 + £500 per month, this would be enough to live a fairly normal lifestyle. 

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 05:43:02 AM »
I presume looking at your previous posts that this is for a couple ? If so, I believe you could live a fairly basic lifestyle here, depending  on how much you like to go out and what you would need to put aside for trips back to the uk, and any major expenses. Of course that is at the current rates of interest, if they take a nosedive you would struggle. I am in a very similar financial situation, not so much capital but a bit more pension, and I can't afford to go mad, but I go out regularly and enjoy my life here. There are a lot of things to factor in, like how much rent you want to pay, bigger place in a better area means more rent to find and vice versa. Will you want to run a car ? Yes, dolmus transport is cheap and you can get to most places, however, convenient and pleasurable it is not. Getting on a packed bus in the middle of summer is like sitting in a stinky sauna, or waiting for the dolmus and then several drive straight past you because they are already full is another nightmare. Yes, I think its possible but I don't think you would have enough to 'party' !

Offline kenny mclachlan

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Thanks for the comments they are much appreciated,also this would be for one person only.

Offline kenny mclachlan

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
I'd say the writer has got it about right, in particular the large costs of running a car in Turkey, and whilst the recent reduction is fuel cost is welcome.  The cost of running a car is till expensive both in relative terms against other countries, and in absolute terms.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 19:27:47 PM »
I thought Rimms got it right on the subject of cars - don't buy one, just rent one when you need it. Well, till he bought one  ;)

They are a ridiculous price and as mentioned, the dolmus will get you where you need to go most times, and most days you won't be going anywhere outside walking distance anyway - making a car even more expensive, sitting outside doing nothing.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 20:45:52 PM »
The only good thing about the car prices is that we could get more for ours now 2 years on than we paid for it.
The tax and insurance is as cheap as chips as it's an older car with a small engine.
We spend on average 35tl a week at the market, and about another 50 each week in BIM, but don't eat much meat it her than chicken.
Occasional trips to Kipa for items we can't get in BIM, so average food bill about £40 a week, compared to the £80 or so I was spending 3 years ago in UK.
Out last electricity bill was 70tl, water is a pittance, and gas bottle 210 tl a year.
Rental depends as said above, ours is really good value, but we have no pool, although the longer were here the more we think we wouldn't want the hassle, it's so easy to go to hotels and the sea is down the road.
You will need to consider the cost if health insurance as well now for residency.
A lot of people complain about that, but it's about 9 tl a day for first class cover.
If you live like you do in UK a I think you will manage easily, if you live like you're on holiday you will struggle.

The most expensive thing for us is when family and friends come over, eating out and trips, etc and I like to go back and see family a couple of times a year, so those costs need thinking about too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf