Author Topic: is there an alternative to Calis ?  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Pussinboots

is there an alternative to Calis ?
« on: May 17, 2015, 13:00:50 PM »
Are there any any smaller resorts still untouched by too much commercialization in Turkey ?

Turunc near Marmaris gets my vote.

Any others ?

Offline gillian handbury

Re: is there an alternative to Calis ?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 15:45:37 PM »
Calis/ Fethiye every time......No alternative.....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 15:49:24 PM »
I was going to say Turunc, a lot of people say that. Also Cesme - although I haven't been there.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 15:54:35 PM »
Kayakoy is nice. I know a lot of people who stay there. The Villa Rhapsody is a lovely little Hotel that cook all the meals from fresh in their own kitchen.  We have been down there and had afternoon tea with the owner.  It was so quiet, a beautiful garden and pool with lovey views all around and a dolmus that stops at the door.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 17:06:21 PM »
Turgutreis was my introduction to Turkey & was pretty much unspoilt at that time, unlike its neighbour, Bodrum & Gumbet, which were almost mini-Marmaris. Cesme has changed a lot in the last 20ish years, since I was there. I saw it on a recent episode of Holiday Homes by the Sea & could barely recognise anything. Although I enjoyed Cesme, I was much younger & fitter at that time & the resort is quite hilly. 

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 17:40:08 PM »
Akyaka . Nice little resort.. Beautiful beach...Mostly Turkish there as most Brits don't know about it....

Offline lissa

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 19:01:53 PM »
I would say no, few resorts untouched. Cesme area is nice but has grown, Alacati which is close,this is lovely but very expensive. Beer around 20 lira......oh no!!!!!!.this area is very popular with rich Istanbul people so the prices increase. Cesme itself though only a short drive away is more affordable. Same for some of the Bodrum peninsula, can be very busy and very expensive. Cirali, in the Antalya region is still nice and relatively unspoilt, though if you compare to 15/20 years ago, yes it has changed. Unfortunately, tourism changes things..... Kabak maybe? Jacqui is correct in saying about Kaya, lots of development over the last few years but still an atmospheric place. Uzumlu? Perhaps, but not a resort as such but still a place to rent villas. Akyaka is so busy now, usually all Turkish tourists, the beach is absolutely packed, especially at weekends.

Offline lissa

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 19:17:00 PM »
I also meant to say that I think this is the best area to be based. So much around here to see and do, and easy to reach other areas if you want a day or overnight elsewhere, such as Kayakoy, Kalkan, Kas, Dalyan, which is a nice town and you don't have to visit the dreaded mud baths!,there are great ruins there also, ancient Caunos. Turunc is nice but in reality the only place from there you would go to is Marmaris or Icmeler, and I would not choose to visit either of those. Strangely, the mayor in Marmaris banned the selling of any goods other than fruit and veg in markets in that area about 18 months ago. As far as I know this applies to Marmaris and Icmeler, not to the much smaller Turunc market. I think he has shops in certain areas.....sure you can guess where! I am not at all cynical......

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 20:02:21 PM »
I've heard that Datca is lovely and will have a trip there one day to see it for myself.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf