Author Topic: Quad Bike Accident  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
Quad Bike Accident
« on: July 09, 2015, 12:52:47 PM »
We met a family whose son recently went headlong over a cliff whilst riding a quad bike. Luckily he was saved by falling 35ft down the cliff on to a ledge and although injured he was not seriously hurt. At the time his father thought he had lost him. The quad bike did fall and the family had to pay £3,500 to replace it before they went home.
It was also mentioned by a holiday rep that there a couple of fatalities earlier in the season but I am not sure about the details of that.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Quad Bike Accident
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 13:03:54 PM »
Unfortunately there are quadbike accidents, some leading to fatalities or "life-changing injuries", every year and there will continue to be accidents all the time that inexperienced people are hiring them.

Offline Daffodil

• Newly Registered
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 13:59:52 PM »
The insurance only covers you if the vehicle is being ridden off road. Once it is on whatever constitutes a road then the insurance is not applicable.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 17:19:05 PM »
There was an accident a couple of months ago.  A Father and Son on quads.  The Father went over a cliff and down into the water.  He was rescued and brought back up.  He was on a life support machine in hospital and his wife found out that their travel insurance would not cover his medical charges.  She was trying to raise £32,000 to medi-vac him back to the U.K.  Unfortunately, he died.
Unless you take out Extreme Sports Insurance in the U.K. before you leave for your holidays you have no cover for quad bikes, jeep sarfaris, paragliding and in some cases horse riding.  Even if you get insurance you have to comply with terms and conditions, so seat belts in jeep sarfaris and crash helmets for quads etc.,

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 17:30:18 PM »
JH, is the figure you are quoting (£32k) for air ambulance and stretcher repatriation to UK from Turkey?

Offline sunlover

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 17:42:22 PM »
So many people don,t think about there insurance when doing these things on holiday, think of the amount of people that hire or go on jeep safari,s throughout the season, yet hardly any think about being insured, yet we hear all the time about accidents!!! Always amazes me!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 19:09:24 PM »
JH, is the figure you are quoting (£32k) for air ambulance and stretcher repatriation to UK from Turkey?

Yes, the man's wife wrote on one of the T.A. Forums that she had no idea that he was not covered by there normal travel insurance as it was buried in the small print.    Her husband was on life support and in a coma so this was the cost of the medi vac from Turkey to the U.K.  The family started a F.B. page asking for donations to bring this man home.

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 21:04:37 PM »
Ah that is sad that the chap died I did not think it looked very hopeful as he went into cardiac arrest at the road side when they brought him up...I thouugt it was £130000 they were trying to raise to bring him back to the uk but that sounds like a lot so I coukd be wrong.,,

Totally agree with KKOB ( for a change  ;)) re this will continue happening sadly...

Offline peat

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »
I'm finding it difficult to understand why the family (according to the OP) had to pay £3,500 for a new quad, surely that is the hire company's problem whether insured or not.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
The hire companies get the hirer to sign an agreement to say they will be responsible for any damage to the quad and will be liable to pay for those damages.  I believe in most cases credit cards are swiped before the quad is handed over, so the company have a card to charge.
I recently read on T.A. of a guy who was charged £900 for damaged to a quad he hired.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf