Author Topic: Honestly please!  (Read 17754 times)

Offline Chilliport

• Newly Registered
Honestly please!
« on: September 21, 2015, 22:10:36 PM »
Hi we have been seriously considering a permanent move to Turkey. We have stayed in Kalkan for many holidays and love it it realise that it probably is a holiday place rather than a permanent place to live. This year we stayed for more than 3 weeks and really fell in love with Uzumulu. We were shown around quite a few properties. BUT seeing the posts on this forum I am now very worried about life in Uzumulu. What's the honest view please, preferably from people who have made the move? It's just the 2 of us, mid 50s, husband disabled, like our own space, like eating out and quiet times.

Would be really grateful as have read some horror stories on this forum!

Many thanks for replies.

Offline BernieTeyze

Re: Honestly please!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 22:32:54 PM »
Susiepink is your lady. If you look at her posts by putting her name in the search box top left , you will see her posts  on moving to uzumlu.
Good Luck

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 22:34:23 PM »
I have a reputation for being an Uzumlu hater on here - no idea why  ;)

I do get it - the fresh air, the quiet, the views. I do understand why people choose it - and indeed I have and had many good friends living there who adore it.

For us it would be just a tad too quiet - and we aren't ravers by any means, too remote (a car would be necessary - for us anyway), too divided, and winters are cold in the Fethiye area without living up a mountain too  ;)

I'm sure one or many of those loving life up there will be along soon enough to add their take. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:21:19 AM »
After only three weeks holiday, I would advise you to take more time.  Perhaps, to rent in Uzumlu for a year and then make a decision on whether you want to make a permanent move.
We bought a Villa in Calis 10 years ago as a then holiday home, with the full intention of renting it out and then retiring to it with a permanent move.  We found we loved it so much we could not bear to rent it out and just came for holidays ourselves, but both of us decided over the years we did not want to live in Turkey permanently.  We still love our visits which are now for longer periods.
I also agree with Scunner about Uzumlu.

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »
I personally wouldn't live anywhere but Fethiye.  It's great in winter.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:23:31 AM »
I agree with littlereddevil, The Fethiye area is mainly flat, making things easier for some disabilities, close to Hospitals/ medical services,

its full of shops, stores, markets, eating establishments, all within walking distance, and it's on the coast. Also milder in the winter.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
Uzumlu is like marmite, some love it & won't hear a word said against it, others hate it. It's not for me, as I prefer to be nearer to the amenities Kevin 3 has listed

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »
Now I know I frequently take a sideways swipe at Uzumlu, the Land of the Midnight Sun or The land of Milk and Honey, but that fun aside I do think it has a lot going for it.  Providing you like it quiet, village scale facilities, limited - but still good choice of - restaurants and - like Ovacik - being up in the mountains and away from the all year round main town of Fethiye.  It does have dolmus service, but you best need a car.  I enjoy visiting and going out to eat in Uzumlu, but probably wouldn't want to live there.

Like Her Maj says above I'd also recommend that you do rent for period - say 6 months to a year - but to include some of the winter period so you get a full understanding of what it is like to live there.  And BTW I think the winter - or non tourist season - are the best time to be here, it's not just about the weather.

Offline Menthol

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »
And BTW I think the winter - or non tourist season - are the best time to be here, it's not just about the weather.

Hear, hear, UBT.

I deliberately didn't take my husband to view properties in Üzümlü as I knew he'd fall in love with the place. And in fact his dream location is Nif, which is even further up the mountain with even less facilities.
Rent, experience winter, visit loads of other areas around Fethiye and talk to people. Never found many folks around here being too reticent with their opinions ... :D

Offline thebillet

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
My only advice regarding your query is less to do with Uzumlu but more to do with purchasing. If at some later stage you might have to, or want to, relocate either in Turkey or back in the UK ask yourself or others how easy is it to exit where you are. I have heard that there are staggering numbers of properties, in relative terms, for sale in that area, how true that is I don't know I am just going on what Uzumluites have told me. In my opinion that would scare the wits out of me. The best advice I have seen above is rent, the most relaxed folk we talked to out in Turkey were those that kept their homes on in the UK and rented in Turkey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf