Author Topic: resigned or pushed  (Read 2752 times)

Offline peter16

resigned or pushed
« on: May 05, 2016, 18:04:49 PM »
Turkish PM has resigned :o or was pushed by he who would want more yes men.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: resigned or pushed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 18:42:13 PM »
Only slightly off topic.

Offline villain

• The most unpopular poster in the village
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
I fear that it is increasingly likely that I will be finding an alternative holiday destination in future years.

This is descent into totalitarianism, and totalitarianism never seems to end well.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:31:19 AM »
I'm afraid I agree with you. Terrorism wouldn't put me off (short of FCO advice and flights/insurance being pulled) but at some point I would draw a line. As a youngster I did go to Greece under the military junta back in the 1960s and it was distinctly unpleasant especially in Athens. I hitch-hiked through the country from north to south and everywhere (except for rebellious Crete) it was clear people were afraid of talking to you about their country (and in Athens off duty soldiers 5 abreast marched/swaggered down the pavements pushing people into the street). A few people on the forum have mentioned that a fear of speaking out is starting to infect Turkish life as well and that concerns me.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 16:29:18 PM »

If anyone is in any doubt about the current situation in Turkey read today's Hurriet Daily News.

RTE states that Turkey now has a presidential system because it's the will of the people.!No vote needed it seems.!

He's told the EU to go their way and Turkey will go theirs.! He has no intention of meeting some of their demands.

There is a list of 20 fallouts between RTE and the PM.! and doubt's over some of the deals the PM negotiated with the EU.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 17:05:28 PM »
Just as you think it might be settling down, in comes Reg with some new whiz bang idea that will set the country back another 50 years.  So the sacking - yes it was a sacking - of the puppet should not really shock anyone, did that fool really believe he was in some way running the show?  Yesterday's resignation (no sacking) speech reminded me of the character played by Eric Idle in Monty Python's Dinsdales Brothers schetch.  All is funny, but the Idle piece is found at 5 minutes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZkWL-XvO0U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZkWL-XvO0U</a>

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 17:07:21 PM »

There is also a 25 minute film clip on the Al Jazeera English website about the fall out. Bit more serious than Python though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf