Author Topic: Gezi Park Again  (Read 3402 times)

Offline yabanci

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: Gezi Park Again
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »
Have you seen the news this morning about Turkey ?  Tear Gas being used against Radio Head fans.  The word on Sky News was people were drinking alcohol during Ramadan????

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
Yes, saw that this morning Jacqui.  Just the kind of publicity that Turkey needs right now!  :(

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
The tear gas wasn't used against Radiohead fans, it was used against folks who staged an impromptu demo in Cihanger over the assaults earlier in the day of Radiohead fans at a record shop.

This kinda stuff has been happening during Ramadan for the past few years - they usually target private art galleries/exhibitions or other "cultural" events where alcohol is available.  Couple of friends were at the opening of an art exhibition in Galata a few years ago and the place got attacked - polis arrived and did nothing, not that anyone expected anything else from them. 

I know the whole world shouldn't stand still because of Ramadan, but sometimes you need to be a wee bit culturally sensitive - maybe even more so just now given the tensions over Islamification in certain areas of Turkey.

JF

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 14:14:34 PM »
The BBC are reporting things rather differently John. They are saying the tear gas police attack was on a later protest about the Radiohead assault. A correspondent suggested "The Authorities" were tacitly encouraging the Islamic mob and taking revenge on the music fans. He also said that this could link to Gezi Park Protest Part II and, overall, not looking good for the Istanbul summer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36567863

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 14:29:23 PM »
No, they're saying the same as I wrote - the tear gas was used against folks out in the streets in Cihanger later on, not against the Radiohead fans at the shop.  There were a series of assaults on Friday night/Saturday morning and yes, there was no intervention by the authorities. 

I think trying to link this with a possible Gezi II is stretching it a bit.  Gezi II is looking likelier by the day, but the focal point wont be a bunch of South Koreans with a dodgy taste in music!

JF

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 14:49:34 PM »

They've also banned the Gay Pride rally for " security reasons " and are out in force in case the organiser's try to go ahead

with it.  That's the way to increase Tourism. !!!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 15:07:06 PM »
No, they're saying the same as I wrote - the tear gas was used against folks out in the streets in Cihanger later on, not against the Radiohead fans at the shop. 
Oh.I read it as the people on the streets later on were protesting about the earlier attack. But it's hot here and my mind may be bonggled.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 15:18:50 PM »
With the single objective in mind of his lifetime Ottoman Presidency title.  Reg is switching all anger buttons to 'ON'  and where they are already ON he is turning up activity heat dial to 11, minimum.  And if you want an idea of what that list of Event switches and dials are, here is a start:-

Anything Western
Anything Western American/Yankee
Anything Jewish, other than perhaps the mirrored opposite of the Israeli PM Netanyahu
Anything Kurdish
Turn as many Kurdish urban areas as possible in 'no go' military controlled - Gaza like (that's an ironic observation)
Anything PKK
Kesi Park (again)
Women - long list but basically against anything being down for them unveiled and outside the home and control of 'their' menfolk, oh and being mothers of families of at least five children... it is after all you duty girls!!
Anything LGBT
Anything Armenian
Any reference to Armenian genocide
Anything Russian, particularly any olive branches that have been sent back as 'Return to Sender' by Bullyboy Putin and his list of loons
St Sofia, Istanbul
Alternative State - a catch all term these days for anything that is not captured in any of the 'other' catogeries
Interest rates
Any semblance of political opposition
Any semblance of seeing democracy as a pluralist activity
A thin skin to take offence to any personal comment
A thin skin to take offence at any religious comment
Any newspaper of media organisation, journalist who report bad things about what should only be good things
Judges and Prosecutors who do not see their job as doing the bidding of Reg, his cronies and then the AKP
Talk of coups etc. to become unchallenged de facto all powerful President
Kurdish successes in Syria and Iraq
Any of the vast number of decisions made on a myriad of diplomatic issues that effect Turkey's neigbours in which Turkey has not been consulted and or ignored... neigbourhood influencing skills 'nil point' I'm afraid

Come on add your own, this is far from being an exhaustive list!!!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 16:01:12 PM »
it's hot here and my mind may be bonggled.
I reread your original post and this sentence is confirmed

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf