Author Topic: Exchange rate at Stansted - Ouch  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Exchange rate at Stansted - Ouch
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:09:02 AM »
I travelled back from Stansted y'day & noticed that the exchange desks were advertising the following (no commission) rates for lira:

Sell rate 3.5

Buy rate 5.0

Change £10 on the way out & get 35tl, return & change 35tl & get just £7. So much for no commission, I make that a massive 30%

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Exchange rate at Stansted - Ouch
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »
I never believe ANY money exchange advert saying no commission. They're not charities. They'll make their money someway or another.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Exchange rate at Stansted - Ouch
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:57:18 AM »
That's probably the biggest differential I've seen, and yes I make it 30% as well.  One of the problems with the lira is it volatility and for that reason exchange bureaus who hold physical currency don't like it.  I think they use the crap exchange rate they always give as a form of insurance, as in we're at risk buying all this lira so lets make as much as we can from it.

The online foreign exchange places buy it on demand therefore less risk and for the consumer, generally better rates.

Finans are offering 4.155 to the quid this morning for internet banking, probably slightly less in branch for anyone not a Finans customer.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf