Author Topic: UK Airport VIP Lounges - Which? Report  (Read 1479 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
UK Airport VIP Lounges - Which? Report
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
Paying for access to the peace and comfort of an executive airport lounge offering complimentary food and drink has an obvious appeal.

However, an investigation has found that too often the nation's airports are serving up only a basic buffet in dreary surroundings.

Airports have caught on to the money making idea of offering access to these new lounges on a pay as you go basis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4445988/Pay-airport-lounges-not-luxury-says-Which.html

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: UK Airport VIP Lounges - Which? Report
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »
Rarely use the lounges in any airport, even though we've had access over the years either through bank or airline frequent flyer status. 

As far as UK lounges go, we're rarely at the airport for long enough before a flight to use a lounge.

The one exception I suppose was the KLM lounge in Amsterdam - before THY started flying to Istanbul direct from Edinburgh, I used to use KLM from Edinburgh or Aberdeen via Amsterdam, and would pop in there if the the transit time was more than an hour or so.  It was pleasant enough, but nothing special.  Nice loo's though if you needed a number 2  ;)

JF

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:53:25 AM »
I would not say it had lost it's appeal in Manchester.   We went to the Lounge (we had a 3 hour wait for our Turkey flight)  showed our cards and where asked had we rung to book?.  We said we had never rung a lounge to book as we had cards.  They told us that they were full and we should have rung to book, they also said we would have paid separately for this, it had nothing to do with our cards.  They told us to come back in one hour.  We went down to the seating area in the airport. It was packed, all restaurants were full and there was a 20 minute queue for drinks.  In one hour the lounge was the same, no access.
When we got home I contacted our Bank and asked what use having a card was at Manchester.  They apologised and said they would get in touch with the Lounge at Manchester Airport  Also, when we told them we were returning to Manchester Airport later in the year, they told us to book onlne and they would refund us the money.  We did this and they did refund the money.   So, obviously, Manchester must be the one Airport where the lounges are well used and at a premium to access.  Having a card is absolutely no use in Manchester.  They want money up front.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:05:59 AM »
We got the message a long while ago that you don't like Aanchester Airport.  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 12:16:08 PM »
Not just because of that, many other reasons, including the place being packed all the time,  very uncomfortable to move around. On our last visit when we did use the Lounge. I went out to the shop and there were people sitting on stairs, on the floor anywhere they could sit, as all the seats were full. Huge queues at restaurants. 
I went through Manchester Airport going out, with sandals on, no problem, coming back I had the same sandals.  I told I should have removed them. I explained I had worn them a couple weeks ago at Manchester and. I was not stopped also wore them at Dalaman, the woman did not believe me.  Took me to one side x-rayed my sandals and then explained she had to do a full search, patted me down really well going inside my clothes and then took swabs of my hands.  Phil was fuming and this woman was a jobs worth, who hated me aguing that I had worn the sandals before with no problem.   
I would never return to that airport.

Offline IanK

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 13:14:43 PM »
Used to fly in and out of Aberdeen a lot and often had lounge access. Trouble was that almost everyone had it so it was always jam packed  and difficult to get a seat. The snacks ran out in minutes.

By comparison, Manchester was an oasis of peace and tranquillity.

Ian

Ian

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 20:10:28 PM »
We use the lounge at Aberdeen and have never found it packed. Most of the time it is very empty. (Saw Greg Dyke in there with his very young girlfriend recently)   They are also serving hot food now, which is a big improvement.  Aberdeen Airport has it's faults, but it is small and much better to get around than Manchester.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf