Author Topic: PC, Laptop questions.  (Read 4775 times)

Offline tytots

PC, Laptop questions.
« on: December 14, 2005, 11:18:31 AM »
Will be moving to Uzumlu in April. I need some advice on which makes of PC or laptop are avaliable in Turkey, also repairs etc. I know little about computers (techie stuff), other than using them for emails, searching the web & down loading mainly items of interest to print out. If I get a laptop, can I plug in an English keyboard? Or would it be best to get a laptop in the UK. If so what makes are serviced in Turkey? Any recommendations as to which make to buy here? In fact any tips would be most helpful as regards to buy here in the UK or in Turkey, either PC or laptop. Many thanks. Elaine

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 11:45:47 AM »
Lap tops much cheaper in the UK also they will be loaded with english software purchase here in Turkey and you will have to pay to have them re chipped or they will be windows in Turkish.
Go along to a PC world shop in the UK tell them your requirements and the extent of your knowledge(?)
Buy your surge protector socket plug board in UK and 3 pin adapters plugs, computer telephone sockets will fit uk laptops. Makes and models individual tastes and needs.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 11:51:41 AM »
Firstly I would suggest a laptop rather than a desktop. Not least because of the power cuts!

You can buy most well known brands of laptop here, they are however more expensive generally like for like.

You can of course plug in a UK keyboard - but be a little careful - not all laptops have a connection for 'traditional' ps2 keyboards - so ask for a USB keyboard (just ask you don't need to know what it is!).

My advice would be to get one in the UK and bring it as hand luggage.

If you only need it for email/browsing/printing, I saw laptops at PC World for £349 - that would do nicely - there is no need to pay £800+ for what you will need. Also try www.dell.co.uk

Any laptop can be serviced here.

Scunner

Offline smudge

• Calis, TR
PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 12:06:35 PM »
Good advice from loz and Keith, can I add, make sure to get a Full windows xp install disk with the package then if the worst happens you can reinstall windows without having to trawl around town trying to find a genuine UK copy. There is a good computer tech in Fethiye, Peter Illing, he is Austrailian and runs an internet cafe and can get any spare parts you need.
Toshiba, HP and Dell seem to be the most popular imports but very expensive over here.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 12:09:26 PM by smudge »

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:41:41 PM »
Do you already have a desk top?   We bought ours out as hand luggage...Flat screen not a big monitor. The printer scanner copier which is quite large was shipped out with our belongings. :)

Offline tytots

PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 12:06:52 PM »
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. A trip to a PC shop is on my list to do, will take your suggestions with me. I have a second hand, very old, very large PC, IBM 300L, it works OK, but a new one was on the cards anyway, just waited until our plans for Turkey (we were going last year, but due to my husband Dave, having the big C, we had to pospone, but happily he is in remission) were in place. I think a new laptop bought in the UK makes sense. Will I get BBC radio through the internet, I'm on dial up here & can get it although not brill. Thanks again. Elaine

Offline wallace

PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 12:32:28 PM »
A good web site for PC's & laptops
is www.europc.com I bought my Tosh
laptop from them last April nearly
£200 cheaper than PC world I have had
no problems taking in to Turkey and it
works fine:D

Carol

Offline tony

PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 13:10:13 PM »
Another good one is www.vizik.com you have to wait a while for delivery as they import from the states. And you will probably have to use an american keyboard if your after a laptop. But the savings are huge. look out for the freebies like a memory stick or bluetooth. Also a built in wireless card is handy to have. If I can remember the sales people are Marie and John.
Best Wishes
Tony

Offline tony

PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 13:48:59 PM »
Another thought is to check out your local ALDI supermarket. Now and again they sell PCs usually Medion. At first I thought no way, but when I looked at the spec they were unbeatable value. You may have to buy the monitor and keyboard etc seperate though. It may be worth a trip.
again Best Wishes Tony

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
PC, Laptop questions.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 20:25:50 PM »
...and also got probably the best review ever from the UK's biggest PC magazine - Computeractive. Medion also did a laptop that received top marks in the mag, again available through Aldi. Sadly only now and again and they sell out FAST.

You can get plenty of radio stations online, including BBC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf