Author Topic: Unregistered Mobile Phones Turned Off Today  (Read 7981 times)

Offline Fethiye

Offline mary anne

Unregistered Mobile Phones Turned Off Today
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 20:14:29 PM »
!Just another little rule that will eventually make people think why bother with Turkey. How on earth are people to register phones if they aren't even in the country.Can anyone say whether it will be too late to register when we go there or are the sim cards defunked until you buy another new phone? Whatever I think it really stinks!- Sorry for the rant... had a bad day and all that...

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 20:51:14 PM »
I understand from an earlier post on the subject of mobile phones that it is going to be possible to pay the fee to register the mobile phones as and when you are in Turkey.  Suggest you go into the place you got your Turkish Simcard when you next visit. :)

Offline saskia

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 23:28:42 PM »
just phoned turkcell and it doesnt seem to be the case with paying the fee option seems to have been stopped.  Also asked if my friends in UK could register when they return and was told no, as they have missed the date and if sim cards are used often they would automatically be stopped.

Offline brummyboy

• Crocodile Dudlee
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 00:32:37 AM »
i know they are usefull and we have all got ourselves so used to them we cannot do without mobile phones,but its not the end of the world to do what we had to do in the old days.
walk to the phone box.
i think the phone cards are great value for money.

quite romantic walking to the old phone box hand in hand with the one you love.

marcus
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 00:35:33 AM by brummyboy »

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 07:38:45 AM »
bottle of efes................

Offline Ali Asterisk

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 10:33:14 AM »
quote:
if sim cards are used often they would automatically be stopped.

Saskia - does that mean if they are only used occassionally they wont be stopped??

Offline saskia

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 12:05:23 PM »
yes u are right it should say if they aren't used often they would be cut off :-\

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »
We found ours was cut off last year when we hadn't used it for a few months. Not sure what the answer is here. Using your UK mobile does cost a fortune but the alternative is a minefield of red tape and even then you don't know if it will work next time you go out.

As Brummy says -- walk to the phone box with your one true love and ring home from there. Use your UK mobile for emergencies and for texting whilst in Turkey - I'm assuming UK registered phones will still work in Turkey after this law change?? Anyone know the answer?

Stoop

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 12:49:45 PM »
I think there is some confusion here as there are two totally separate subjects. Firstly non use of Turkish simcards....there was always the possibilty that your simcard provider would cut you off if your phone was not activated for some time, it was luck of the draw because sometimes it was done and others not....there is nothing to suggest that this situation is not ongoing.
Secondly there is the question of registering your turkish simcarded UK phone. As previously there seems to be no firm information as yet as to what exactly is happening other than yesterday was supposed to be cut off day. My own mobile was registered and is still working. It also seems the site where you could check the registration is no longer working. I think it will be a wait and see what happens situation.
With regard to keeping your simcard open send a text say once a month to a Turkish number....very low cost and should avoid deactivation, but remember to ensure you have credit on the phone. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:51:15 PM by tribalelder »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf