Author Topic: Grain Alcohol  (Read 2541 times)

Offline bob w

Re: Grain Alcohol
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 14:25:45 PM »
Haven't you heard about the cheap alcohol that was being sold in Turkey last year? It killed a few people. Also in India several were killed and many were left blind after drinking so-called "Grain Alcohol".

Thanks for the advice, in that case will make two lots one with vodka the other with cheap alcohol in case the wife wants a drink

Offline screamlead

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 06:43:46 AM »
I actually heard that only a business can purchase pure alcohol and not an individual. Much safer to use a cheap branded Vodka in my opinion, i made some last year like this and it turned out superb.

Offline Shaka

• Newly Registered
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Made some this year with vodka and it's really tasty...Bottle in freezer as I type... :P

Offline johntaylor49

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 15:06:26 PM »
As a former "trafficker in Alchohol" in countries where it is forbidden, (at least that is what they Charged me with),I have a wealth of experience in the construction and operation of a still.   ;)

With a proper still and just water, sugar and yeast you can produce pure etyhyl alchohol. The strength is such that if you drink it undiluted  -- you die! However if you can acheive a high content say 85%, and if you water it down 3:1 and mix it with something it will take on the flavour and be safe to drink. (e,g obtain Jack Daniels chips, heat them (careful as the alchohol has a flashpoint of around 55+ degrees C) and immerse them in the liquid, add brown sugar, shake, store for 12 months and voila -- passable JD! 8)

May I recommend the small book "So, you want to be a Chemist?" available on the Internet.

So, if you have a reliable source or can make it yourself, then that is one way of inexpensively achieving the result you seek. However, it is much easier to just use Vodka, which -- surprisingly -- is Grain Alchohol -----usually!   :)

And, you avoid the unpleasantness of a dirty Cell!

Meldrew the Booze Man

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 15:36:45 PM »
Or just buy a bottle of cheap Vodka to add to your lemons as suggested way back in this thread.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf