Author Topic: A T.V. programme to watch that will be in our area of Turkey  (Read 9715 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Re: A T.V. programme to watch that will be in our area of Turkey
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
I watched it too and agree with kayakebab,  If I was thinking of moving now  to Turkey this programme would definitely had made my mind up not to.   Very worrying just how things are being move by the President towards an Islamic State.  I can see in the future Turkey will no longer be a secular country.   I also did not realise that the Wine Industry was being put under such pressure with all the new restrictions being placed on Turkish Growers.  Seems like the future does not look good for them.
This programme scared me, we have already spoken about selling our place as we are worried about the political situation.   I woud advise anyone thinking of moving to watch this programme.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
Erdoğan has been in power for 14+years. For as long as i have been going to Turkey (10yrs) i can only see how much Turkey has improved. Bars are still selling alcohol,  people dancing on tables as they were back then. My sister-law- wasn't allowed to go to University because she wore a headscarf,  now they are free too. Surely this is fair? Turkish TV many programme presenters scantily dressed full of make-up. Both Muslim & non Muslim should be free.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
Erdoğan has been in power for 14+years. For as long as i have been going to Turkey (10yrs) i can only see how much Turkey has improved.
Here's a chilling statistic. Turkey gaols more journalists than any other country in the world - that means one third of all journalists who are locked up are in Turkish prisons (Amnesty International).

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
My point was about freedom for both Muslim & Non Muslim.
Many hotels all over Turkey, topless women, but a hotel is built for Religious people and it's not good.  I'm not religious but not against anyone who chooses to be. Not condoning journalists being put in Gaol but few Media all over the world has a lot to answer for. Especially UK.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
Rana, did you watch the programme?   If not please do and come back and give us your opinion.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
For as long as i have been going to Turkey (10yrs) i can only see how much Turkey has improved. Bars are still selling alcohol,  people dancing on tables as they were back then.
Sorry Rana, but my yardstick of "improvement" doesn't use alcohol or dancing girls  :) 

Yes, alcohol is still sold however the level of taxation levied is designed to gradually price it out of the reach of the average Turk.  The wee fella hates alcohol and also brought in the law whereby producers of alcohol can no longer advertise - the ban includes branded glasses, ashtrays, umbrellas, mats etc .  The ban on advertising covers all forms alcohol - wine, Raki, spirits and beer.

I don't disagree that there have been improvements under the AK Parti, but many informed commentators have suggested that they are only extensions of the work done between 1999 and 2002 by the DLP and CHP.  You look at the Istanbul skyline now and its very different to 2002, skyscrapers, massive office blocks, a couple of new bridges and lets not forget the Çamlıca Mosque on the Asian side.  Oh and wait, there'll soon be the enormous mosque in Taksim square...

A select circle of individuals have made an awful lot of money since 2002, including the wee fella and his immediate family.

One improvement that doesn't sit well with a lot of Turks I know is in the budget for Diyanet, the ministry for religious affairs - its roughly twice as large as that of the ministry of health and twenty times the size of the ministry for EU affairs. 

I could go on, but it'd probably just sound like a bitter anti AKP rant  :)

My sister-law- wasn't allowed to go to University because she wore a headscarf,  now they are free too. Surely this is fair?
It is fair.  The previous law wasn't fair, although I understand why Atatürk did it.  He was a secularist and wanted the newly formed Republic of Turkey to always be a secular country.  The current regime, despite their protestations to the contrary, do not see Turkeys future as a secular state. 

My point was about freedom for both Muslim & Non Muslim. 
Many hotels all over Turkey, topless women, but a hotel is built for Religious people and it's not good. 

Who says its not good?  The halal tourist industry is one of the few areas of growth within that sector in Turkey and long may it flourish - its keeping folks in jobs and bringing money into the country.

JF 

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »
Yes i did see the programme Jackie and i thought it very objective. Surprised actually!  I don't trust any Government at home or anywhere else. They all have an agenda but i try to see the good & bad not just one sided. Only time will tell what Turkey will be like in 10yrs time, then we can come back & discuss this again. If we're allowed  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
I don't trust any Government at home or anywhere else. They all have an agenda......

They wouldn't be a government without one would they ?

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
Not always a good Agenda kkob

Offline MrT

• Newly Registered
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
I watched it too and agree with kayakebab,  If I was thinking of moving now  to Turkey this programme would definitely had made my mind up not to.   Very worrying just how things are being move by the President towards an Islamic State.  I can see in the future Turkey will no longer be a secular country.   I also did not realise that the Wine Industry was being put under such pressure with all the new restrictions being placed on Turkish Growers.  Seems like the future does not look good for them.
This programme scared me, we have already spoken about selling our place as we are worried about the political situation.   I woud advise anyone thinking of moving to watch this programme.

Moving is still on my agenda however 3 or 4 years off yet so will have to see the changes that arise! I do hope Turkey keeps its secular Identity as it has always felt so welcoming towards me, admittedly I have always been a tourist in tourist locations so only have a limited experience of the country. I fell in love with the place years ago and a large part of that was the culture the mosques, the history the diversity, and the beauty of the place and the people.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf