Author Topic: Thomas Cook  (Read 11881 times)

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
Re: Thomas Cook
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 19:40:27 PM »
I've booked a Thomas Cook flight or hotel outside a package. Am I covered?

Hotel bookings. You are not covered by Atol, Abta or package holiday protection if Thomas Cook goes bust. You may have protection if you paid on plastic, see the 'Did you pay on credit or debit card?' section below.

Flights booked online or by phone. You are not covered by Atol, Abta or package holiday protection if Thomas Cook goes bust. You may have protection if you paid on plastic, see the 'Did you pay on credit or debit card?' section below.

Flights booked at a Thomas Cook shop. These will be Atol-protected. If Thomas Cook goes under, you can continue your holiday if abroad or get a refund if still in the UK.

Money Saving Expert

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2011/11/qa-how-safe-is-thomas-cook/

That's not what the definition of ATOL (and ABTA) says if you Google it.

Offline marina

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2019, 20:47:36 PM »
Thomas Cook Chief Executive 'remained silent' when he left the crisis meeting shortly before 5.30pm today.
No idea whether that would be a good sign or not  but I would think maybe not  :(  hope I'm wrong

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2019, 22:54:42 PM »
ITV appear to be saying that it's all over for TC.  Whilst I don't like the firm it's a shocking for anyone who has booked with them and the staff involved. 

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2019, 23:08:24 PM »
Royal Bank of Scotland bailed them out to the tune of £650 million.  You cannot keep throwing money into a bottomless pit. Mismanagement of funds, embarking on building projects and hotel refurbishments on condition that hotels adopt the “Smartline” logo hasn’t helped their situation.  Such a shame for all their employees who probably won’t get paid despite soldering on.

Offline davybill

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »
Well it  is confirmed  that Thomas Cook have gone out of business  after talks
Collapsed  last night ,feel very sorry for people who have booked with them.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 07:33:31 AM »
How will holidaymakers get home?
All customers currently abroad with Thomas Cook who are booked to return to the UK over the next two weeks will be brought home "as close as possible" to their booked return date, the Department for Transport (DfT) has said.
Customers will be on special free flights or booked onto another scheduled airline at no extra cost.
Flights will start operating from Monday, with details of each flight to be posted on a dedicated website as soon as they are available. 

Remember anyone due home beyond two weeks won’t get repatriated. Same when Monarch went.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 16:43:58 PM »
After looking at the flight only options for next year we decided to book an AI in Ovacik for June next year..
Not exactly Calis but close enough for us to get to our beloved Fethiye..
Also after swearing never to use TC again We booked with First Choice who happened to have day flights
yes you guessed it. With TC. ( We don't do night flights anymore.) Depending on what First choice come up with flight wise it looks like we may not make it again.  .
On a less selfish note.. I worry for the hotels and businesses in Turkey this year.

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 18:35:03 PM »
I imagine other airlines will pick up a lot of the vacant slots, weren't thompson (now TUI) in partnership with first choice. Can't imagine tour operates wanting to lose business if other flight can be arranged.
Just thinking about it we did a shirt break to Portugal through first choice and flew on with easyjet so mayby they'll pick up some of the flights.
Where are you flying from? I'd love to see easyjet fly out from more UK airports.
Hoping some good may come from this.

Offline charlste

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2019, 21:07:01 PM »
Royal bank of scotland probably have some directors that are also on the board at thomas cook.dont wonder rbs get themselves in the mire.and dont forget its partly state owned.
Rbs is hardly in a position to bail out anybody.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf