Author Topic: Staying in Hospital  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Fastlady

Staying in Hospital
« on: October 02, 2011, 13:05:33 PM »
Following my near admittance to hospital yesterday, one thing that worried me (stupid I know but, hey, I'm a woman!) was my choice of bedwear.

Now I've never been on a ward in a Turkish hospital and don't really know what to expect - however, I'm sure that my normal stock of night-attire wouldn't meet with the approval of the local populace.  I mean this morning, I packed a 'just in case' case and pondered over which of my not very discreet shorties would be the best option (bearing in mind that during the hot summer months nothing at all is required and only in the dark depths of winter does the long sleeved wincyette pyjama make an appearance).  

I suppose I could take along a pair of leggings and a long tee shirt or maybe I ought to nip along to the pazar and see what's on offer - I wouldn't want them to think Charlotte the Harlot was checking in, lol!

Just wondered if any other CBF'ers had had occasion to stay at the Devlet B&B recently and what the dress code is?  

I'd also be interested to learn about the daily routine, ie, is it bedpans at 6am, matron's rounds at 9 and all that Carry on Doctor routine or what?  Also got me to thinking what I could do in there all day, after all, conversation is likely to be stinted at best - even if the other residents deign to speak to this 'Charlotte' - so would I be allowed to take my laptop in with me?  Maybe I should go and chat with my new 'friend' Erdal and see if he can give me any help (though not with the nightdress thing of course).

Looking forward to some great informative replies as usual!

Offline grizabella

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 15:21:58 PM »
You need to take a friend or member of the family with you to do the actual 'taking care of you' as this is not the nurses job.Dont know what I would have done without my friend Trish.For bed time wear I took a cotton nightie,bought especially for the occasionbut joggers and a long t shirt would be ok too.Its usually nurses at 7ish to take temp and pulse.Then its up to you to toilet or your friend gets the bed pan etc if required.Change over of nursing staff around 8am then the docs come round after that.Normally the Turkish patients do NOT ask any questions of the medical staff who they treat with utmost respect.A bi like us 50 years ago.I made sure that whoever came round to discuss my case had someone with them that could speak English to answer my questions and keep me up to date with my progress.I was in a room for two and my Turkish neighbour in the next bed was lovely and friendly.I find that if you are smiley and friendly to people you get the same returned.Dont klnow about the lap top as never took mine.
Hope this answers some of your questions.Dont hesitate to contact me if you need to know any more.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Staying in Hospital
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 18:22:46 PM »
Yep, you'll need someone with you, especially if you expect to eat 'cos they'll have to go and get it for you. That's why Turkish hospitals are surrouned by cafes / lokantas that do a paket service.

Offline grizabella

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 22:09:53 PM »
I had my meals in the hospital and also paid 15tl a day for my friend to have her meals.They arrived on a tray and she had to feed me initially till I was well enoughn to feed myself.

Offline janmack

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 22:56:39 PM »
Very intersting reading in my opinion.  
I had to have an emergency op in Esnaf way back in February.  
After the op I had a room to myself and absolutely fantastic care.  
Phil was fed and watered each day I was there although I wasn't allowed to eat or drink until I was able to prove my bodily functions were working properly...won't go into that lol.  
The care was outstanding, the cleanliness was outstanding.  I was treated with total respect by ALL the staff.
I wore PJ's throughout(long trews, long sleeves) as did all the other patients I met.
I would suggest you make an attempt to cover up to be honest.
Good luck with whatever you are going in for!

Offline Fastlady

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:24:20 AM »
Thank you Grizabella, KKOB, hadn't thought as far as eating!  Hopefully it won't come to it and I won't need to be admitted, but it's helpful to be prepared.  

Thanks too for your good wishes Jan.

Offline Lotty

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:57:27 AM »
This was a really useful topic. Not something we think about normally but God forbid, it doesn't hurt to be prepared!  I must say the hospitals sound excellent.

Offline Fastlady

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
I wondered whether it would be possible for the Tourism Department at the Devlet to organise a tour of the hospital, including a ward or two, for a few expats.  I certainly would find it very useful, having never set foot in a hospital ward outside the UK.  I'll mention it when I next speak to the guys down there...they are anxious to promote their service, maybe this is one way they can help us to understand how the sytems etc work there.

Offline Angelic

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 19:18:09 PM »
My late mum was in the Develet hospital a couple of times and treated with utmost respect. The first time she had a private room at 15ytl per night extra, for this she had bathroom/shower, television,fridge and pullout bed for someone to stay with her.Meals were included in this as well.You do need to take your own loo roll though. On her second stay all private rooms were full but she still had excellent treatment and only one other bed in the ward which was empty.

Offline Angelic

Staying in Hospital
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 19:22:32 PM »
She just wore a nightdress and had alittle bedjacket with her.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf