Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 5399 times)

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Boxing
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 15:22:13 PM »
Did anyone go and see the fethiye boys boxing 2 weeks ago in fethiye very good afternoons entertainment ,well worth supporting all voluntary workers English and Turkish who run this the boys are trained very well ,if you want any info for future bouts email me . ;)

Offline Eric

Boxing
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 15:39:10 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ringo

ok here is my list of the top 10 british fighters of all time.they are not in any particuler order...Joe Calzaghe...Benny Lynch...Ted Kid lewis....Jimmy Wilde...Ken Buchanan...Jim Driscoll...Chris Eubank...John Conteh....Howard Winstone...Bob Fitzsmmons...So get it on fight fans pick the bones out of that lot .All great fighters.

Hang on a mo......what about our 'Enry Cooper'?

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Boxing
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 16:36:55 PM »
What about Joe the Joke Bugner ha ha what a plank .:D:D ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 16:38:31 PM by lance »

Offline ringo

Boxing
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 19:59:10 PM »
Ok lets look at joes record. 69 wins i3 lost. 43 wins by way of ko.During the golden era of heavey weight boxing rated no 5 in the world.In 1973 he boxed JoeFrazier said after. the fight only Ali and Foreman had been tougher, Bugner lost by  a  split desision. You need to check out the fighters Joe beat during his time . If you know your boxing you have to admit  Joe was a great fighter  not the best in the world but not the dope you make him out to be.You think you know the fight game i dont think you do.

Offline hoops man

Boxing
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 18:56:39 PM »
Sugar Ray Robinson?

Offline Eric

Boxing
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 19:16:58 PM »
WHAT ABOUT 'ENRY'?

Offline maximumtom

Boxing
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 20:43:55 PM »
I mentioned him earlier

Offline ringo

Boxing
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 21:07:59 PM »
Nice  enough  man.Was good for british boxing.however as a fighter he had 55 bouts he lost 14 and was stopped 8 times.Most of his fights were against domestic opposition and a lot were in London Henrys home turf.Henry was a great boxer as far as uk and europe . But as far as world titles went not really a contender.He did however catch Clay with a cracking left hook and make no mistake that was a hell of a shot.but the fact is Henry was not in the same ball park as Clay and the rest is history.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Boxing
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by hoops man

Marciano was a mauler and not many since have gone forward in every fight and taken alot by the way from some fantastic fighters. Jersey joe fights were brilliant, Archie moore another great fighter, essard charles to name a few. There were great fights in those days. Nobody got back to say who apart from Foreman and Frazier that was worth mentioning did Ali beat! i love my boxing and cant really come up with any. Have to agree with Ringo.
Who do you think was the best British fighter we had or maybe have?

thought this might interest you Ronnie,   http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000738/

Offline hoops man

Boxing
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
Great link Des. Dont get me wrong. Ali was a great fighter and we use that word loosely in boxing terms but he was great. I only ever said i didnt think he was the greatest. As for the link lets look at it closely. It says Ali fought more world champions and contenders than any other Heavyweight. Liston as most boxing fans would agree(i hope)there was something dubious about both fights. The 2nd one was a fix if ever i saw one. Floyd patterson was way past his best and was from a different era than Ali. Norton, Frazier and Forman were all good fighters agreed. leone spinks? Nothing to say on that one. Archie moore im sure needed a walking stick to get to the ring. Its reported he was in his 50s but anyway he was from another era and not Alis. Moore was a great fighter 10 years earlier but not when ali fought him. As for our Henry i have got to go with Ringo he was more a european fighter with a good punch. look at Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbik. Both great fighters who defeated Ali(who it must be said was way past his best during these fights). A young and violent but also gifted fighter called Mike Tyson came along and hammered both of them thus becoming the youngest heavyweight of all time . i can still remember that punch that floored Berbik. Awesome! Tyson also Hammered Michael spinks who was a great fighter and alot better than his brother leone that Ali defeated and also lost to. There were some really good heavyweights around the Tyson time but they had no chance. So still controvertial Ali at his best and Tyson at his best! who was the best?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf