Author Topic: selling a property  (Read 6349 times)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: selling a property
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 21:59:23 PM »
I would read this topic before considering Century21:

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63498.msg440383#msg440383

JF

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 22:08:14 PM »
Should the whole company (Century 21) be judged on the action of one individual ?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 22:33:56 PM »
Yes. It shows a lack of awareness by the local branch - maybe you should address your question to the CBF member who ended up tens of thousands of pounds down and see what he thinks...

JF

Edit:  given that we have a few agents we KNOW are dead straight, why take the risk.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:49:05 AM »
We had a real horror story with Remax - similar in setup to Century 21 as a company - total deception and theft, with all the evidence and witnesses; I assumed Remax would be horrified too. All they did was explain that I would have to take it up with the local branch.

What I learned from this is that people take great assurance from companies like Century 21 and Remax being global players, when actually when things go a bit corrupt, they immediately run for cover and refer you to the local branch - the very people who went a bit corrupt.

My advice has never changed - find out who helps people buy or sell without issue or drama, and do your business with them.

Don't draw great comfort and assurance from global brands - I assure you they afford you way less than a good local guy will.

If I was buying or selling in Calis/Fethiye I would deal with Cenk & Olga at Interturk, because I know them, and I know that in the 15 years I have known them, they have only boring stories of how people bought or sold without issue or incident. I also have dozens of far more exciting stories about people who bought through other agencies and ended up with nothing apart from a remortgage.

Offline mskhasawneh

• Love Fethiye
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 08:27:31 AM »
Hello all;
I mentioned Nese kaya from century one, because she had advertised the flat I BOUGHT  on sahibinden and previous owners had her as the agent of choice. We as buyers had a very smooth and straight forward deal without using a solicitor. Every thing went according to the rules and every step of the way, and we were very sober about that as it was our first experience buying in Turkey. One good thing about that agency I thought that they make good efforts to promote the flats through intensive advirtizing on real estate websites like hyrriyetemlak or sahibinden or others.
But of course there are many good real estate agents and there are bad ones.

Offline johnc

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 07:35:32 AM »
We are selling our villa, and have been told by the estate agent that we sign a contract, then half the money is put in our bank account, and the other half is paid in cash when we sign at the title office. Is this how it is done? I do not like the idea of getting so much in cash?  I would prefer the whole amount in the bank first..
Thanks for any advice

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
If they've told you "that is how its done here" and not offered alternatives, such as all funds paid straight into your bank account, then ditch them now.

Turkish digital banking is excellent and instead of seeing folks at the deeds office counting a Kilimanjaro of cash, you're more likely to see them refreshing their online banking app, or simply giving their bank a call.

JF

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
Obviously John is right that the safest way is bank transfer but it's quite common to do it the way you described. The buyers will point out that at the time of signing the deed over, you have half the money in your bank and the rest in person. I found many Turkish buyers (and sellers) prefer cash, and perhaps distrust banks more than individuals.

I have had all money paid in cash at the tapu office, solicitors arriving at the agency with a Migros carrier back stuffed full of notes, every possible permutation. For more traditional Turks cash is better than banks, strangely perhaps to us.

Ultimately it is the agent's role to ensure things go smoothly; good agent, good transaction. I was brill, never had a hitch in dozens of such transactions  ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 14:48:31 PM »
 ;)

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf