Author Topic: Hassle at small market  (Read 47247 times)

Offline alanw

Hassle at small market
« on: October 18, 2005, 20:22:56 PM »
There is a small super market on the road we like to call textile alley ( the road at the top of the hill from the dolmus station at Fethiye).
There is no name on this shop but it is next door to a shop called "Bur time".
Basically you will be acosted by a very friendly gentleman with white hair you loves the English etc etc, you will then be steered into the shop where you will be cornered and offered tea, home made lace etc whilst this is going on the white haired chap will be dousing you in lemon cologne and playing withyour arms and shoulders, then he will demand 20 YTL for the massage!
Steer clear of this place it is pure intimidation - luckily he thought better of doing little more than snarling at me and the wife - I snarled back.
A great shame this is the only time we have come across this in the 10 years we have been in this area.
Do yourselves a favour give this place a wide birth.

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Hassle at small market
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 22:13:39 PM »
Yes - we got had by this gent too. Was he well pi..ed when you met him? Carl had the massage under extreme protest from both of us. He also brought out his 'home made wine' which he insisted we try.
Then he tried to get us to pay £10 for Carls' massage & £20 for the very expensive bottle of wine which neither of us could drink.
It's virtually impossible to get away from him & you don't like to be rude but you have to. In the end we flung 10Million at him as he was saying we had cheated him.
He goes from totally charming to an absolute nightmare.
It's on the right hand side coming out of Fethiye. I suggest everyone walk on the left hand side & walk very fast as he will come after you wanting to talk English as he loves the English people & language so much & will drag you in.

Linda

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Hassle at small market
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 03:31:58 AM »
sounds like he needs a group of the cbf boys to go round and give him a slap!!

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Hassle at small market
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:50:23 AM »
I know exactly where you mean, the problem is that most people trek up and down that road several times if you are trying to furnish a place, this guy seems to attract people who need advice and then he rips them off as described. We now just walk past and never take up his hand shake because once hold of your hand, he won't let go.

The only other rip off like this I have seen happens near to his place where you see the signs to the rock toombs. Children will offer to show you the way up and guide you into the garden of a scruffy house where you will get the massage treatment or be ripped off for soft drinks.

Rimms

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Hassle at small market
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:31:50 AM »
He also lurks outside the mosque offering to guide you and has also been seen doing shoeshine.

He claims to like English but not like Germans so in response to English?.... it might be interesting to respond.. Nein ich bin Deutch.

Then he might like Germans not English!

Take the advice avoid him like the plague or be rude if you have to. :)

Offline jwood

• Nottingham, UK
Hassle at small market
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 10:20:54 AM »
Yes, we've been there too. Turn left at the top and he's along on the right. We keep well clear of him, he's seems to be always there and always out of his head !!

Offline lmaddy

Hassle at small market
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 10:50:38 AM »
We've nbeen mugged by him too - 10 TL for one of those lemon colonge stuff. Larry said it was the cheapest mugging he's had!

Offline lolly

Hassle at small market
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 17:46:08 PM »
Been there, done that and had the bl***y massage!!! He got us 2 years ago as we were going up to the back road to walk to Kaya Koyu. Did he give you all the speil about having 4 kids or then maybe it was 6? By the end of the massage he was the father of vitually every kid in Fethiye!!!!!!! Didn't like the 10TL we gave him either and quickly kicked us out of the shop.

Lolly x

Offline alanw

Hassle at small market
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 18:21:05 PM »
Glad it wasn't just me then, didn't seem p***ed, had nine kids but then got p***ed off when I offered him 3YTL for the massage - said he was insulted so I said not wishing to offend him I took it back, it was then he growled but I can growl louder (but not quite as loud as a brown shaggy bear though!)
Still you live and learn he is a minority.

Offline sandgrounder

Hassle at small market
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 18:56:05 PM »
It wouldn't happen to be this character would it? Pictured here with an unsuspecting Mrs sandgrounder 3 yrs ago. We got bitten by him and his mate, the fat shopkeeper!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf