Author Topic: what to do in Uzumlu for a whole week.  (Read 9192 times)

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
Re: what to do in Uzumlu for a whole week.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:57 AM »
Sleep and more sleep.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 05:35:04 AM »
Angela, unless you have a fruit & veg fetish then to be honest the market is not worth coming all the way to Uzumlu for as those stalls take up 80 percent of the 15-20 stalls. The others being hardware and clothes. If you are coming up then make it for a day of musing and yes there are many places to eat should you so wish, in addition to those 2 preferred by Rosy.

Offline Hamlet

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 05:56:28 AM »
Hmmm! Walking from Uzumlu! Let's put it this way Angela, it's 20km from the village down to the Antayla/Dalaman road & you want to do that in the scorching heat of a July day?

You will need to prepare well for that one  :-\

1st, buy a book on desert survival.
2nd, make sure your wills are up to date.
3rd, say your last goodbyes.

Or, catch the Dolmus and forget the above.

There is a good side to walking down the hill in July/ August though, the Tarmac melts and by the time you have walked it you could be 4 inches taller!  8)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »
Angela and I trek 20+km every day when we are in Calis in late June and early Sept
(am trekking pm beach   :) )
I'm not sure that we'd attempt it on the hotter days in July and August though  8) 8) 8)

Offline Firo

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »
In July I would recommend bringing plenty of reading matter then after a leisurely breakfast on your terrace do what most people in the area do, put up the shade, pull out the sunbed and chill with breaks for the frequent excursions into the pool... ;D
After dusk then potter up to one of the many restaurants to drink and eat outside in the gardens.
That would be my perfect week in Uzumlu or anywhere else at the end of July

Offline suehugh

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
   :)As a devotee of Uzumlu, I can tell you that there is loads to do. We have a wide selection of restaurants, some offering a variety of events from quizzes, a weekly one at the Winehouse called the fun quiz on Tuesdays, another one monthly I think (details of which can be read in the Uzumlu village news, which highlights some but not all events in the village). Live music again at the Winehouse with talented musicians. A secret garden restaurant called Selale (Turkish for waterfall) which serves the most delicious Elma Pide which is close to Apple strudel, this has a real Turkish feel to it, and the owners make you feel like part of their family. There are book exchanges at all the restaurants. It is possible to eat out every night at a different venue, and a lovely cake shop for afternoon tea too. There are craft classes making jewelry, a knitting group, a charity group, a weekly market, loads of walks you can do up to Cadianda the ruins above the village. Horseriding can be arranged, Many charity events organised at various locations. You are sure to be inundated with other suggestions, these are just some to wet your appetite.  People watching is a bit busier these days, but I guess in the heat of the day most people are inside or by their pools keeping cool during the day.Happy holiday

Wow-Thanks Rosie-Plenty there to consider
The craft classes sound good-Are these generally weekly

Offline suehugh

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
Angela and I trek 20+km every day when we are in Calis in late June and early Sept
(am trekking pm beach    :) )
I'm not sure that we'd attempt it on the hotter days in July and August though  8) 8) 8)
Hi kevin-Yes we also walk, rather than trek in Calis, but tend to early morning as its too too hot in July. Usually around 6.30 am for a couple of hours. Builds up an appetite for those wonderful Turkish breakfasts.
Trouble with Uzumlu are the gradients. But with frequent stopping and loads of water, its still doable

Offline suehugh

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
In July I would recommend bringing plenty of reading matter then after a leisurely breakfast on your terrace do what most people in the area do, put up the shade, pull out the sunbed and chill with breaks for the frequent excursions into the pool... ;D
After dusk then potter up to one of the many restaurants to drink and eat outside in the gardens.
That would be my perfect week in Uzumlu or anywhere else at the end of July

Thanks Firo-Thats sounds good also-Just looking for something else to break up the day.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »
What beautiful use of the reply with quote option  :)

Offline suehugh

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:54 AM »
What beautiful use of the reply with quote option   :)

Eh ! Go on, what am I doing wrong

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf